Friday, April 22, 2011

Starting My Blog

This isn't the first blog I have had, and honestly, I doubt it will be the last. Before blogging, I kept a personal paper and pencil journal, but those seemed to get lost or not updated frequently. 

Keeping a journal is an interesting, personal habit. If you publish a journal, or blog, online does it mean you want your life to be open to others? If you keep a journal in a notebook that you store on your nightstand, does it mean you want your journal to be private? 

My mother, for example, has been writing in journals since before I was born. She has hauled storage boxes of these books all over the country. One day she'll allow myself and my brother to read them, but for now they are private to her. I, on the other hand, have decided to start my blog online again. Not because I want an audience, but because I am trying extremely hard to be more open about my life. If it's out there, it's out there. And if I don't want to publish it, I don't have to. 

So now that this little introduction is out of the way, I can smile and say Hello. 

Today is Good Friday. My family is not particularly religious. Religion left an extremely bad taste in my mouth when I was married the first time (the emphesis with my ex-husband's church was the more money you brought in, the better your spot in Heaven would be).  Steve has not been to church on a regular basis probably since University. We have discussed going back, even composed a small list of which churches in our area we would feel comfortable visiting. It's just getting our feet in the door.


I don't think returning to church on a holiday is a smart idea. I'm sure others will disagree, but hear me out. There are some people (and I have seen this in action) that only go to church on the two big holidays: Easter and Christmas. I have even heard the phrase "Guaranteeing my spot in Heaven" if you at least show up on these two holidays. I don't want to be one of those people, and I don't want my family to be those people. I want church to be an enjoyable experience for everyone, not a dreaded way to spend a Sunday morning. So we are toying with the idea of going and one Sunday, hopefully soon, we'll go.

Today it is raining, like it has been for the past week (yesterday was the exception to the rule). I suppose rain is better than snow, but I am really wanting to start the garden and re-build our front porch. I am tired of spending the past five months indoors and am ready to go out and play. For now I will entertain myself by watching the rain dribble on the window beside me and possibly lose myself in some knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment