Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

It's Wednesday! Today is the day I join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists and post pictures of our beautiful projects. If you are new here, please check out the other lovely projects through Ginny's blog. Happy knitting!


I wanted to start today with the neat circular knitting needles I am using as of late for all of my projects:

Circular knitting needles

Last year, Steve's mom was going through things at her mother's house and came back home with boxes of knitting magazines (circa the 1950s through the early 1980s) and these circular needles. Each box of needles had at least 4 needles within it. The only thing Karen (Steve's mom) can figure is that a store may have been going out of business and her father bought all of the needles for her mother. Karen begged me and my mother to take some of them. I think at final count she had over 100 circular needles in various sizes. Since I was still new to knitting (and hadn't even knitted on a circular needle yet), my mom picked some out for me and put them in the closet in my spare room.

Fast forward to now, I am happily using circular needles and can't even imagine knitting on straight needles anymore. When I decided to start Chase's sweater, I knew that my regular set of size seven needles were being used for another project. Mom reminded me of the needles that were hiding somewhere in the closet and finally I decided to look for them. I was giddy to find that I had multiple sizes and multiple of each size. This is why I made the comment earlier that as long as I had needles and yarn, I could have many projects going at once (a thought that scares Steve, I think).

I posted yesterday pictures of the BSJ that I am working on. I am also working on Chase's sweater. At the beginning of the year, determined to make something for Chase, he and I went to our local yarn store and sorted through patterns. As many people have already noticed, there aren't a lot of really neat patterns for boys. Also, Chase is a smidge over five feet tall and he's nine. I decided early on during our search to ignore the children sweaters and focus on adult sweaters. Chase found this pattern and absolutely fell in love with it. It has cables, it has charts, it looks super cool. Chase also chose the Frosted Smoke yarn from Beaverslide Dry Goods.

Edging

The backbone cable pattern

  
Agent and Sage checking out the overall progress (or trying to attack the needle points)

I am hoping to finish up the BSJ this weekend and return to working on Chase's sweater. I am pleased with the progress of it so far and am looking forward to the challenge of working cables on the back and the chart pattern on the front.

9 comments:

  1. I've been trying to find the courage to start on circular needles for quite some time,... maybe I should try it...
    aaaw the last photo is the best! cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jarka

    Once you try circulars you'll never want to go back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you can have 'stuff' in your cupboard and think nothing of it and get really excited when you need it. It seems that cats might be a theme with knitters and readers. Enjoy your reading. Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the picture of your "helpers" (the cats). Once I switched to circulars I never ever looked back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Obaitori Spiritual Mothering

    Oh most definitely! And yes, I think kitties and knitting go hand-in-hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Swanski Thank you! Without them I think I would be lost :)

    I feel the same way about circulars. I was talking to my Mom about them this morning and she said she can't imagine having to go back to straight needles only.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's a perfect sweater pattern for a nine year-old boy!

    Love the color. Great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sweater pattern is lovely! I really like the grey!

    ReplyDelete