Wednesday, June 29, 2011

being creative in the kitchen

With our family vacation right around the corner, today was the official day to start making all of the road trip goodies (it's a 14 hour drive to the Outer Banks from here).

The first thing Chase and I made today were Tracey's Simple Cheese Disks. When I saw these posted a week ago, I knew I had to make some for my family and our upcoming trip. They went over so well today, that tomorrow Chase and I will be making a double batch (which I may hide from my family until it's vacation time).


Chase was the official snack cutter.



Thank you so much Tracey for posting the recipe! We are all enjoying these delicious little snacks.

Between the time the last tray of cheese disks came out and almost 4 o'clock this afternoon, I was busy tending to fires with other issues. As soon as those issues were under control, Chase and I made two different marinades for homemade jerky. We have the meat in marinating and will slow cook them early Friday morning.

Tonight for dinner I made one of my favorite meals. It just screams summer to me (I'll post recipes at the end of the post). They are so delicious.

Turkey hummus pitas

Of course while making dinner I decided I needed to make some sort of cookie to have for the rest of the week (and any leftovers can go to the beach with us!). I opted to go with the oatmeal white chocolate chip cookies with dried cranberries. It's a simple recipe that makes between 12 and 20 cookies depending on size (I usually get a dozen, but I like to make larger cookies).

Cookie results! Sage just could not resist being nosy and getting in the picture.

Turkey Hummus Pitas
  • 1 English cucumber, diced
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
  • 1 cup hummus, preferably spicy or roasted red pepper (about a 7-ounce container)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 teaspoons ground coriander
  • Pita pockets
  • 2 to 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
Mix the diced cucumber, feta cheese and red wine vinegar and put in fridge to chill. Heat skillet with olive oil. Mix salt and pepper, ground turkey, hummus, parsley and coriander then cook in warmed skillet, breaking apart meat mixture. Once meat is cooked through, spoon hummus into split pita pockets, line with sliced tomato and fill with turkey mixture. Top with chilled cucumber feta dressing.


White Chocolate Chip Oatmeal (fruit) Cookies
* I have used dried peaches, blueberries, and now cranberries as the dried fruit and all have turned out tremendously well!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried fruit
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
In mixer, cream butter and sugars together. In a small bowl, mix flour and baking soda together. Gradually add flour mixture to creamed sugar and continue mix. Add oats, dried fruit, and white chocolate chips until mixed together. Spoon mixture onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake 12 to 15 minutes. Makes 20.

Happy baking and creating!

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the cheese disks. I wanted something for the wee one to snack on without buying the standard 'goldfish' from the store since they are loaded with chemicals.
    Your recipes look yummy. I don't have any groung turkey, but I do have chicken that we put up so I will have to make this over the weekend.
    Have fun preparing for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tracey Oh yes, those cheese disks are so good, thank you again for sharing the recipe! Chase commented that they are way better than goldfish crackers :)

    With the hummus pitas, I've used turkey, chicken, and lamb and all are fantastic. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so smart to make snacks to take along on your trip! "On the road" is usually where I slip up in my resolve to eat well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @cpcable

    This is the first time that I am really enforcing the homemade snacks to take. Our mindset is usually that if you're road tripping, it's a good excuse to stray from healthier eating habits. It's just not a great idea nor is it cost effective! Since Chase and I are enjoying ourselves in the kitchen lately, I figured we could just make our goodies, save a little money, and we at least know what is going into everything. :)

    ReplyDelete