Monday, June 13, 2011

Homemade Jam

Chase and I dedicated our Saturday afternoon to making jam. This was our first attempt at canning jam, so I was desperate to make sure it was perfect.

After we had had breakfast, Chase and I sat down to cut the tops off the strawberries. This was a big deal for Chase because I gave him permission to use a sharp-bladed knife to assist. He was so careful.

The next task Chase helped with was squishing the strawberries with a pastry blender. I told him it was a job that required muscles so he was all for it. At one point while he was squishing away, he commented that he imagined this is what a human heart felt like: sticky, bright red, but not as sweet smelling. Only Chase.

We had opted not to use pectin, just berries and sugar, and off we went. I think Chase didn't realize how slow of a process it would be. He was patient, however, and we both took turns stirring our batch of jam.

When it finally came time to can, I realized I didn't have enough jars. I filled a dozen 1/2 pint sized jars then asked Steve to run and get more. In total, we have ten full pints of jam. Since Saturday I have been dreaming of a bagel with cream cheese topped with fresh jam. Finally, finally... this morning it happened.

Delicious.

Chase is busy squishing berries (the little mother is in the background supervising).

Bubbling away!

The end results.

So delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment