Friday, June 24, 2011

spaetzle and lamb brats

My mom's farmer's market has a vendor that sells lamb! She graciously picked up two pounds of ground lamb and lamb brats for us and sent them home with us over the weekend. It's been a while since I've made spaetzle (usually sided with chicken brats from Whole Foods), but I figured lamb brats would be a perfect side.

Spaetzle became a food obsession for us after Chase and I saw the episode of Worst Cooks in America on Food Network where Robert Irvine taught his students the recipe for spaetzle with mustard cream sauce and sausage. We have followed the recipe for the spaetzle to the letter, but I have not made the mustard cream sauce yet using the white wine. You can make a very delicious and simple cream sauce by just using the cream, cheese, and mustard (that's what happens when two stores and the co-op don't have shallots!).

The first two times I actually didn't have a spaetzle maker and used a colander instead. That was an extremely long and tedious process (one which I do not want to repeat) so I ordered our spaetzle maker from Amazon.com and haven't regretted it once!

Here are Chase and myself making tonight's dinner:

Red pepper puree. I love this color of reddish orange.

Spaetzle maker ready to go.

Chase and I took turns: this can be a very hot experience!

Spaetzle in the pot.

The results of the spaetzle once drained.

The finished results!


The lamb brats were extremely delicious. I will need to start looking for them locally since everyone enjoyed them. I forgot to take a picture of our edible flower salad that I picked up from our farmer's market this week. It was also extremely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment