Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday! Today we join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists in her weekly knitting and reading.

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? ~ Ginny

My goal this week was to finish my mother's sweater (!) so that I can finally give it to her this coming weekend and to get to a good stopping point with Chase's sweater. Well, I reached the latter goal so far.

All that is needed to finish my mom's sweater is to finish the neck. No big deal, right? But it's just straight knitting and a bit boring

This is the best picture I could get this morning (Sage is about to jump in the shot).

Clearly the sweater was put there for him.

I wish he had held still in this picture! 
 
I think you just can't see how neat the sweater is while still on the needles. There are over a hundred stitches (offhand I can't remember) crowded onto those needles so it won't lay flat. I promise when I finish the sweater I'll get better pictures of it, and maybe even on my mom!

After only putting on two rows of the neck, I realized I should be working on a gift for my friend whose birthday is tomorrow (I've been easily distracted this week). I wanted to work on a pair of wristers for her, but add cables to them to make them a bit pretty. I had a pattern in a magazine that was a mock cable pattern so I thought it would work.

The first issue I had was that they want you to knit the wristers, in the round, on size 8 32 inch circular needles. I tried four times, and had convinced myself I just was not getting it and that's why it wasn't working until I gave up. When I called my mom yesterday I told her about the pattern and how frustrated it made me. She said there had to have been a major misprint in the pattern and to just knit my basic wrister pattern and toss in cables. I'm not comfortable making my own pattern just yet (especially because it has cables) so I pitched that idea. I did remember that last week Karen made beautiful wristers and decided I, too, will start those (Thank you so much Karen for posting the pattern!). The wristers will have to be a late gift, however.

Saturday evening I reached another milestone in Chase's sweater. I am to the point where I split the stitches to make arm holes. I am so pleased with my worth so far and comfortable putting down his sweater for a week.

The back

The front (I swear it will make sense when the pattern is done!)
Chase and I picked up a bunch of colored bottles yesterday at our co-op and he is loving them. He thought they would be fun to include in the sweater photo shoot.

Speaking of Chase and yarn, my mom sent us to our yarn store to pick up two skeins of yarn for a scarf she wants to make for her stepmom and to feel a yarn that she wants to use for a sweater for Chase. Chase was given the task of picking the color for the scarf. I knew he would gravitate to red (it's his favorite color) but he first picked a light blue (then went to red). We ended up sitting with three different colors before he opted to go with a raspberry color.

Pleased with his selection.

Surprisingly, the ladies at the yarn shop were pretty nice to us yesterday (usually they make the whole experience there quite uncomfortable). The one lady was quite nice to Chase (She always is) and he asked her to wind the yarn for him (a process that fascinates Chase).

As for reading this week, I've been reading a lot of food magazines this week. I'm always on the hunt for a new recipe to try.

Happy knitting!

10 comments:

  1. What is it about ladies that run yarn stores? I know not all of them are like that, but it seems more so than not, right? The sweater is looking lovely!! And it seems kitty quite agrees too :). Happy Yarn along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, what pattern are you using to knit Chase's sweater? I would love to knit one for my young man here.
    I love to read recipe and try new recipes. I saw that you and Chase made homemade jam. It's fun isn't it?
    Enjoy this beautiful Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you are making great progress on the sweaters. Our LYS is so wonderful and friendly all the time, it makes a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @MJ

    I'm not quite sure, but it's extremely hit or miss when I go to this place on how the service will be. They're the only decent yarn shop in the area, so I go when needed, but try and order yarn elsewhere. I know there are places out there with happy, helpful shop owners but they seem to be few and far between right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tracey Hi Tracey! The pattern I am using for Chase's sweater is here: http://www.figheadh.com/2239_detail.html I'm knitting him the small adult size (so he can get a couple of years -- hopefully -- of use).

    Making jam was a great experience! Chase loves to help in the kitchen and we both enjoyed ourselves. Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Swanski Thank you! I am looking forward to working on Chase's sweater more.

    I think I might start looking for a new yarn store. I'd be willing to make the drive for great yarn and nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O my goodness, I go to the yarn store FOR nice people! The ladies at the store near me are so nice and grab the baby out of my hands, and sets the older kids up with toys they set out, and let me have as long as I want to just pet all of the sweet yarns. I just love them so much I feel guilty buying yarn online when I find a good price. Boo to mean customer service!

    What a fun color he picked out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks great!

    I've yet to find a LYS where I live where I feel comfortable going in and shopping. I think this is why I trek to WEBS in Massachusetts or order online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Gretchen R Oh Gretchen! I want to go to your yarn store, then. It sounds absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jen @ Wife, "Mom", Knitter

    Thank you! Sadly, I am not that comfortable going to the LYS often. I go when my Mom is in town because she does not have a decent place near her for yarn. I've found so many great yarns via these blogs as of late that I have no problem ordering from them online. Sometimes, though, it's nice to be able to feel before buying (which is a big deal for Chase).

    ReplyDelete