Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday! Today we join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists in her weekly knitting and reading post. Stop by and join in the fun!

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? ~ Ginny

Last week, I heard about the wonderful book The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane over on Jess' blog (thank you Jess!) and decided it was just the right emotional read that I needed at the time so I downloaded it to my Nook and dug in. I absolutely loved it. It was an honest, emotional, and my heart swelled with love and sorrow. Chase has added it to his reading list (there are about six or seven books ahead of it, though) and I hope he'll enjoy it as much as I did.

After not knitting on Chase's sweater on the way to Delaware (and spending an evening ripping out the lace scarf while there), on our way home I got down to some serious knitting business. I am happy to report that I finished the back of Chase's sweater Sunday evening, finished the front Monday evening, and stitched the shoulder seams together Tuesday evening. Next stop are the sleeves and the collar ribbing and then it will be done! I am just too excited about how much progress I have made.

The back of Chase's sweater.



The front of Chase's sweater (don't you love the hand print?!)

I'll have to try for a better picture of the hand print pattern on the front of the sweater -- every picture I snapped just didn't do it justice. This is the first time I have knitted following a chart and I have to say it's not as hard as I thought it would be.

Monday night while I was finishing up the front of Chase's sweater, he was sitting in the chair behind me reading one of his books. Out of the blue he said "I could do that." and at first I thought he was referring to something he had just read. Turns out he had actually been watching me knit for a while and decided that he was ready to learn to knit. My heart skipped a beat. Chase had dyed yarn earlier using the instructions that Elizabeth had shared, but he has been insisting that he was not ready to learn yet, and then wanted my mother to teach him. Armed with a plan, the motivation, and the tools, I prepared myself to teach Chase to knit.

Yesterday after a trip to the library and before the Farmer's Market, Chase and I went to the coffee house down the street from us and settled in for drinks and knitting. As we sat and waited for my coffee, Chase kept saying "Come on! Yarn me! I am so ready!"

I started with showing him how to cast on. This step rocked his mind. I assured him that I would cast on his stitches for him to get him started. Then, with the steps that the wonderful Elizabeth has offered to teaching littles to knit (In, Around, Through, Off), I showed him how to start on his own needles. He was still a bit confused with how to knit a stitch and move it over to the opposite needle so I pulled him into my lap so he could watch from his point of view.


Did I mention since I am left-handed, he is also learning left-handed? :) 


Deep in concentration.

Getting a little bit more relaxed.

Tada! A completed row! 


Chase knitted three more rows before we left the coffee house for the Farmer's Market and then two more tonight. What is so interesting to me with his knitting now is the mathematical side he is taking to this. He knows he wants his scarf (at least that is the plan right now) to be 80 inches long. He also measured his rows tonight and estimates 6 rows equal an inch. He groaned when he did the math and said "I have to knit 480 rows!". I had to giggle. I know that he will not only count stitches, but will also count rows. He has a final goal for how many rows he needs, so now he'll start subtracting them. He also noted it took him about 40 minutes to knit those last two rows so he is trying to figure out how much time he will need to invest (I keep trying to remind him that as he knits more, he'll get faster).

I asked Chase if he wanted to take part in the yarn along this week and he excitedly agreed to joining along (though he was disappointed to find out that we meet online, and not in person).

Chase's yarn along!

Within the last week Chase had read five of the seven books in the How to Train Your Dragon series. It has been one of his favorite series to read. It will be interesting to see how he balances his time now that he is knitting.

So Chase and I both wish everyone a happy Wednesday and happy knitting!

11 comments:

  1. Hurray for progress! And I love the hand print. :)
    And hurray for teaching and learning, I know my boys cant wait to get a chance at the needles. It's just me not ready for that I think ;-)

    Way to go Chase! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Chase's sweater and how great to teach him to knit! He is doing so well and it won't be long before he can knit YOU a sweater!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you loved Edward as much as I did! That handprint pattern is so, so cool! Did you chart that out?
    Also, great job Chase! Teaching kids to knit is one of my jobs, and it's always exciting to see a child take to it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @*kate

    I really like the hand print, too. It's so different from things that I have seen done.

    I know when you're ready to sit down with your boys, you'll be an excellent knit teacher :) I was nervous, too, but when was insisting on learning, I decided to jump in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tracey Thanks Tracey! It's so funny because he was asking yesterday "What happens if I knit two stitches together? What about three? How about if I add?" I had to keep reminding him to lets try and stick with simple knit stitching and we will move on s-l-o-w-l-y. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Jess

    I loved Edward! I wish I could lend it out via my Nook to my Mom because I know she'd love it, too. It really was the perfect read I needed at the time.

    The hand print is a chart. I'm going to see if I can scan it in.

    So far Chase is still really excited about knitting (that was the first thing he did when he woke up this morning was add another row). I hope he continues to enjoy it as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Chase is quite the talented knitter! How wonderful. His sweater is looking so nice and sleeves are fast after doing the body. I bet a whole sweater will be photoed by next week (fingers crossed). Glad your stress level has gone down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Swanski Chase is funny when it comes to his knitting. He'll knit a row, and put it away for a while. He says he really wants us to have "knitting dates" where we can go have coffee and just knit. :) I hope the sleeves are quickly finished. I should really cast them on tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome, Chase, to the yarn along! My niece is 9 and she also just decided one day it was time to learn how to knit. So lovely! I love the sweater, Emily! You're on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @cpcable Chase says "Thank you!" for all the warm wishes. It's really great that many kids are getting into things like knitting now.

    ReplyDelete