Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday! Today we join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists in her weekly knitting and reading post. Stop by and join in the fun!

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? ~ Ginny

Chase is convinced it makes great armor.

Despite a slow start on the sleeve last week (I didn't knit at all on Wednesday *gasp*), I did finish it Tuesday morning. I added an extra inch per Chase's request so the sleeve is 19 inches in length.

I did manage to cast on the cuff for Chase's other sleeve, too.

Last week Chase and I finally got to our library to pick up more reading material. He is in desperate search for robot and dragon themed books. I'm trying to remember the books I read when I was his age. I'm pretty sure that they were Isaac Asimov, and I can see the cover of the books clearly, but I cannot find them via title right now. I know there are a few series and I think we'll borrow them all. One of the books I picked up and read, and loved, is Logan Ward's See You in a Hundred Years: Four Seasons in Forgotten America. What a great story. I laughed, I stressed, I was so happy with their community that was there for them.

Chase is also wanting to join in again this week. He'd like me to point out that after casting on and knitting on size 10 needles, he decided he wanted smaller needles. It was rough to watch 10 rows be taken off, but we did cast on again (this time only 30 stitches) and off he went again. He's got about 8 rows now. The last two books in the How to Train Your Dragon series arrived yesterday (he used his allowance to order them) and he is deep in reading again. He also picked up a trilogy at the library that was on the shelf above a robot book we found. It's called The House Called Awful End: The Eddie Dickens Trilogy. The cover illustrations are what caught my attention, and after briefly looking over the book, Chase took all three. He says it's really good. He's also got another book he's reading, but left it in the car last night. I think at any given moment, Chase may be juggling three different books!

  
(Hi Koda!) 

Happy knitting to everyone -- stay cool this week!

xx

10 comments:

  1. I've had a slow knitting week too. So it goes sometimes.
    Your book sounds really intersting, I'll have to look for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty smart thinking to add an extra inch to the sleeves. I know my son grows 'overnight' and is outgrowing clothes daily. I will check out the trilogy that Chase is reading for my son so thank you for the recommendation. I am finding it very hard to locate books for him. He reads faster than any of his siblings.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to raise a reader! has he tried the Eragon series by Paolini? Sometimes, it's in the teen section but I think it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @*kate I'm okay with a slow week. I think I need a little break from working on a big project to maybe handle something small. I'm thinking of making more cat toys :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tracey Yep, I figure even if the sweater is huge on him now, longer sleeves are a must. I hate cold wrists when sleeves are an inch short, but man, I was so ready to be done with that sleeve that adding the extra inch seemed to take forever ;)

    Chase says the Eddie Dickens series is kind of like the Lemony Snicket series. I wish I could recall what the other book he is reading is. Once it's back in the house, I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Freedom Three We do own Eragon but I don't know if he has picked it up to read just yet. He's also dabbling in the Percy Jackson series, but put that on hold to finish out the How to Train Your Dragon books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for sleeve construction! So nice that Chase is a reader both of my kids are and we frequently discuss books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about the Pit Dragon Chronicles series by Jane Yolen?

    Dragon's Blood, Heart's Blood, A Sending of Dragons to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jen {Wife, "Mom", Knitter}

    I hadn't heard of the Pit Dragon Chronicles, but I am definitely going to look into them. Thank you for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Swanski Oh yes, Chase is a big time reader. He's been telling me all about what has been happening in his books.

    ReplyDelete