Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday! Today we join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists in her weekly knitting and reading post. Stop by and join in the fun!

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? ~ Ginny



I was hoping to have more done on Chase's sleep and my book this week, but Monday and Tuesday I just did not feel like reading or knitting. I'm better today, and ready to get cracking!

Last week I knitted the collar on Chase's sweater (drats, wish I had remembered a picture here) and jumped into sleeve knitting. I decided to take a lesson from Chase and his knitting and figure out how many rows I need to accurately have the right length. I'm going to rip out and re-knit the first sleeve. I've been looking at it, and I
am not happy with the seam. This go-round I am going to knit the sleeve strictly on DPNs instead of switching over to a circular needle.

I also started to read The Friday Night Knitting Club. I'm having a hard time carving out reading time where I am not interrupted, but so far I am thoroughly enjoying the book. I had seen this book series being promoted at the book store in the past and was always mildly intrigued by it. So when Chase and I went to the library last month, I decided to pick up the first book. Once I finish, I'm going back for the other two.

At this time I don't have any projects ready to start after Chase's sweater and that makes me a little nervous. I have yarn, I have ideas for things, but they're "fun" projects with no real purpose or someone in mind. Also, I have never blocked my knitting before, but I know I need to for Chase's sweater. Anyone have tried and true tips for blocking a wool sweater?

Happy knitting!

20 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing what others say about blocking -- I've never done it and I'm a bit intimidated! Good luck deciding on a new project. I think I'm going to knit up some socks for my husband next, which I hope will get me started on a lot of fall sock knitting. I have a lot of sock yarn, but haven't tried socks in years and then I only knit one sock -- so socks are my fall self-imposed challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kathy

    Oh Kathy I am so intimidated about blocking, too! I keep hearing that it's no big deal, and I've read various techniques, but if some experienced knitters can give pointers, I'd definitely appreciate it!

    I was thinking of socks, too. I was so worried I wouldn't have enough yarn to finish Chase's sweater so I ordered another skein. But I think I will have enough so I might use the extra skein to make a pair of winter socks for my Mom. :)

    You can do it! If you start socks, I'll nag ya to make sure you have pairs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't try blocking yet but I should block my sweater as it's the first "serious" project and I want to finish it properly but I have no idea how!!!
    :)
    and I don't have any project planned... I've knitted mittens last winter so I'm not going to knit another pair, I've knitted scarf and hat and now sweater...so I'm out of projects/ideas :P
    ...maybe leg-warmers? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blocking is really simple.
    Just get the sweater completely wet and lay it out flat to dry. If you have any tension issues that you want to address, you can take a yard stick and beat the wet sweater until it's laying nice and flat. That part's kind of fun anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you're enjoying the FNKC book. I was pretty wishy-washy after reading it. I have the other books on my list to read at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed The Friday Night Knitting Club. I read the second also but still need to read the last.
    I haven't blocked anything but flat things but I'm sure you can find some good tutorials on youtube if you want a visual how-to. It amazes me what you can learn on youtube!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blocking is a knitter's best friend! I have been able to shape sweater's that I thought would not be the right size. Especially lace. You can email me specific questions if you want. For my son's sweater I thoroughly soaked it in wool wash and then smoothed it out to size and air dried. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Swanski, it is a knitter's friend. There are some great tutorials on line that are very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seams are difficult ~ I need to work on mine much more. I have that book sitting on my shelf - never got it. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have a hard time carving out time for...well everything! so much to do that is so fun, so little time for fun stuff doing. i am lucky if i get a few pages rad a night these days before my eyes are too heavy for me to hold!

    :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jarka

    Haha yes, I think you need to make leg-warmers next. Gotta make sure you are nice and warm come winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Jess

    What's that? Beat the sweater? ;) Oo that would relieve a lot of tension I have! LOL! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Swanski

    Thank you! I will pick up some wool wash and try it on Chase's sweater when I am done. I might block a vest my mom made me last year (she doesn't block her work at all) because it curls along the edge and it drives me batty :) Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Tracey

    I'll go back to looking tonight. I want a step by step with pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Jen

    So far I like it, but being halfway through who knows how I'll feel when done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @*kate

    Yep -- Youtube is a great source for pretty much everything!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Jen

    I've been setting up time during the day for fun. An hour of dedicated reading time. An hour for reading. It's just trying to enforce it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Ellen

    I'm not too fond of seams right now. I know this second sleeve will look so much better than the first so I can't even think of putting the first on the sweater. I don't mind having to re-do it. It's all a learning process!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE that yarn! If I'm seeing it right it looks like it's a bit bulky but soft... with a nice color. I can't wait to see it all knitted up!!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. @no spring chicken

    Oh yes, Debbie, it is nice and heavy and soft, and still smells sheepy and just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete