Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday! Today we join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists in her weekly knitting and reading post. Stop by and join in the fun!

~ Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs. I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? ~ Ginny





As I mentioned in a previous post, I realized while I was working on the gusset of sock #1, I was using the wrong sized needles. So Saturday I ripped it all out and started again on size 3s. I always worry when knitting with size 3s that I'm going to snap them. I'm past the gusset by three rows now and I decided to take a break. I may still have a bit of deep-seeded stress which is causing my stitches to be so tight.

I started to read the Nook free book from Friday, but I gave it up after about forty pages. I just.. I tried to get into it, but the writing style bothered me. It felt rushed.

I started (and finished) reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson yesterday afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I loved the whirlwind scavenger hunt through Europe. It was a light and touching story that was just the read I needed.

I may stop working on the socks for now (poor little unfinished sock -- doomed already to live on DPNs). The Renaissance Festival kicked off last week and runs until the first week of October. We're planning on going in a couple of weeks and Chase is desperate for his knitted chainmail armor. It looks like it will be a very quick and simple knit, so I plan on starting it tonight.

Happy knitting!

22 comments:

  1. Poor little sock on DPN's. You make me laugh Emily! I hope you post pictures from the festival, it sounds like a lot of fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to knit for Chase! It is a priority. As for the DPNs you will not snap them if they are metal ;) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting read :) The festival sounds like fun - I can't wait to see Chase's chainmail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start on your sock...I still can't get the hang of dpn's....The armor does sound more fun to knit though....great choice Chase

    ~~Renee

    A Knitters Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tracey

    Glad I could provide a giggle this morning :) Oh I definitely plan on getting lots of pictures this year. It was so much fun when we went the year before, and this year we're going to try and team up with Steve's brother and go in a group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Swanski

    True.. metal won't snap, but I love the bamboo ones so much!

    Chase is already planning out his next sweater (my Mom is just now finishing up his Christmas sweater). He saw me going through a knitting book the other day and has decided his next sweater should button up.

    But the chainmail is priority. He's found his sword and shield and has been fighting dragons in the yard for the past two days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @*kate

    It really was a great little read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Renee

    Thanks Renee! I tried it on my foot this morning and it fits nicely so far.

    I think I do need a fun knit right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! I hope you post a picture of the chainmail finished! Sounds like something my crew would love!
    I do love the color of your doomed yarn ~
    And thanks for visiting!
    Have fun
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've left a sock to languish on my needles. It'll survive. ;-)

    Get crack-a-lackin' on the chain mail for Chase! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. knitted chainmail armor? You rock mama!!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Karen

    Oh don't worry -- there will be pictures. :) I'll get the pattern link up soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Jen

    Haha Jen! Yes'm, I'm getting right on it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just finished my chain mail and am off doing socks at the moment. Working in reverse to you! Just needs to chill down enough for my boy to wear it for more than 5 minutes. I'm feeling sad for your lonely sock. Hope you can pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Cheryl

    Oh Cheryl I'd love to see the chain mail finished on your son!

    That's neat that we're working opposite :D

    And the sock will get picked up again as soon as this is done. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. To bad you had to rip, buI guess socks isn't the worst thing to rip as they are small ;) The book sounds interesting. It's great with those light bokks in between others. The Renaissance Festival sounds like a fun place to be :) Hope you'll finish the chain mail.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We really enjoy Renaissance Festivals too. So much so I once made a costume with hidden nursing opening. Have a great time!

    Please post pictures of the chain mail when you're finished. I'd love to see it. Where did the pattern come from?

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Hege

    Yeah, if it were something bigger, I'd have been more upset. Socks, I'm okay with having to rip and re-start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Meadow

    I bet your costume was excellent. You are definitely a true attendee! :)

    The link for the chain mail armor is: http://www.renfestreview.com/index.php/crafts/3-crafts/5-knitting-chainmail-armor

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know what you mean about the size 3 needles...I'm a tight knitter too and I really feel like I'm going to snap them whenever I use them! Your little socks are worth it, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @cpcable

    Yep yep! I think after Chase's chain mail I will be more relaxed and able to relax while knitting the socks.

    ReplyDelete