Saturday, August 6, 2011

What's that hiding under there?

Zucchini!!   

I admit it, I'm becoming a bit impatient with the garden. As more wonderful goodies are showing at the farmer's market, I come home and look at our garden and say to myself "Are we just delayed because of the soggy start to spring? Did I do something wrong?".

Right now two of our boxes are a "hot mess of vines". They're going everywhere. I talk to the veggies. I encourage them to try and keep their vines within the confines of the boxes (for safety purposes). We've got a ton of blossoms on everything. Every other day we're getting at least six green beans picked (yum yum). But I worry that all this green is not going to produce.

This morning I decided to investigate under all of those soft, fuzzy leaves for signs of produce. I squealed with delight when I discovered our first zucchini! It's beautiful and perfect and I hope nothing happens to it because I have plans for it already.

I should also mention that our tomatoes are doing well, too. I need to stake them in the next couple of days. I have cages, but last year the cages collapsed under the weight of the vines. I'm thinking of repurposing the wood from the front porch. Hopefully Monday (weather is supposed to get wet today and tomorrow) Chase and I will be able to construct something.

Even though we have oodles of tomatoes starting to show, we have had two lost due to rot. They start to ripen, everything looks good, and then we go to pluck and it's rotted on one side.

rotting tomato

Not quite sure what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. Might be blossom end rot. I got a fair bit of that last year, and I think some varieties seem more prone to it than others, from my own observations. It is supposedly caused by inconsistent watering. It is very annoying :(
    Enjoy your zucchini ( we say courgette). I never tire of eating them - always handy when the glut comes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barefoot Crofter is right about the blossom rot. Water does affect it, but your soil need calcium. You can crumble Tums into the soil which will help.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. @The Barefoot Crofter

    Ah.. I just did some googling and I bet you're right. Drats! :( Hopefully I can get it under control because he has quite a few on other vines that I would hate to lose. Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tracey

    Tums you say? Excellent! Thank you so much Tracey. We'll get some tomorrow and crumble into the soil. Chase and I appreciate the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about all of the tumbling green and blossoms, but not much fruit of the vine yet! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some nice hot weather into October, just for the produce...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. To bad about the tomatoes. Hopefully you'll fix it. Hope your Zucchini will grow big :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tip. I am going to stash that in my gardening know-how.

    ReplyDelete