Tuesday, September 27, 2011

No Good Very Bad Day

I felt like I have been neglecting this spot over the past week, so please accept my apologies. I have been reading everyone else faithfully, but have felt my own attempts at posting were rather trivial.

I had a bad case of the Mondays on Friday and decided Saturday I was not going to do anything I didn't want to do. But instead of focusing on the No Good Very Bad Day, I will focus on the other good things that have been going on.

Chase and I joined Steve's parents for a matinee showing of The Music Man and had ice cream afterward.

(I really do adore straw boater hats)

Saturday evening I made a fabulous cheddar soup along with croutons (I've never made them before) using bread I had made Thursday.

Yummy!  

I got my cleaning underway Monday morning for our upcoming visitors! My Dad and stepmom come in this weekend then my Mom will be here for a week. I am so excited!

A certain cat who is desperate to find a new, plus-sized friendly box to sleep in after his brother angrily chewed down the side of his beloved sleeping spot. I empathize with Sage. I know what being plus-sized in a regular sized world is (however, I have never had a loved one chew the sides of my bed down because I wouldn't share).

Sorry Sage, you're too big for the shoe box.


Delicious treats from the farmer's market! Fresh doughnuts from the Amish farm and the biggest head of cauliflower I have ever seen.

My poor coffee cup is cowering in fear.   


And of course, my wonderful family.

Chase was massaging Steve's back and scritching Sage.

I also want to provide an update on Mom since she had the biopsies this morning. She said that the procedure went quite well (better than she had expected) and is now home and resting. Ice packs are helping with the soreness, and she is surprised at how tender she is feeling right now. They know for sure they weren't cysts at this time. Mom should know the results within the next three to five days. She and I would like to thank everyone who has been keeping her in their prayers.

I'll try not to be a stranger in the future!

6 comments:

  1. Emily, I wondered what happened to you and glad you are ok. Thanks for the update on your mom and I will continue to keep her in my prayers. The soup looks wonderful, want to share the recipe? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tracey Yep, everything is okay, just busy lately!

    I would love to share the recipe. The nice thing about this would be that it would be just as good without the cheese in it. I know that you're vegetarian, but I think that a little bacon would also be good in this soup (I left out the broccoli because Chase is not a fan).

    Here you go:

    Ingredients

    * 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    * 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    * 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
    * 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    * 2 cups half-and-half
    * 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
    * 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
    * 1 bay leaf
    * Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    * 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
    * 1/3 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/3 cups)

    Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, half-and-half, both potatoes, bay leaf, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.

    Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, put the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl; add 3 tablespoons water and season with salt. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes; drain.

    When the potatoes are tender, remove the bay leaf from the soup and transfer the soup to a blender. Puree until smooth, leaving the filler cap slightly open to let steam escape (or puree the soup in the pot with an immersion blender). Return the soup to the pot and thin with water, if necessary. Return to a simmer over medium-low heat; stir in the broccoli and season with salt and pepper.

    Add the cheese and stir until melted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still praying for your mom, thanks for the update!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! Poor kitty needs a bigger box and to teach the other cat a lesson. Your mom remains in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL yes he does. Thanks Julia.

    ReplyDelete