Friday, September 2, 2011

Ramblings

First of all, thank you to everyone for the well wishes. I am feeling better and hope that by the end of the weekend I'll be back to normal. I really dislike seasonal colds. Chase was over his within three days and mine is lingering. I also did not appreciate the addition of a migraine Wednesday morning.

I think what was most frustrating was that it was the start of the semester and I had an in-person class and I felt miserable (thankfully it was only two hours worth of orientation). I also dislike feeling really good for a while then suddenly I'm wanting to crawl back into bed and nap.

But since I have had my cold now, that means I don't get one in winter, right? I mean, that's how it should work.

Overall it's been a pretty good week. I did all of my online classwork by Wednesday night and am sitting here wondering what to do now. I can't move forward in any of the classes until Monday so I am twiddling my thumbs when it comes to school work. Chase watched the lectures for my Weather class with me on Monday and worked on his own isobaric pressure maps while I did mine for grading. I think I will try and work on that classwork when he is available because he is so taken with it (he even enjoyed my Sociology lectures we watched). His brain is a jell-o mold still and I am just pushing as much fruit pieces (knowledge tidbits?) in as I can.

Wednesday I had my first welding class. I'm scared. The teacher and his assistants are great, but still in the back of my mind I am saying "Why are you here? Are you really sure this is something you want to do?". It is something I'd like to learn to do. I have ideas of things I want to make that require welding and I'd like to be able to do it correctly. I just need to get over the fact I am the only girl in my class (yes, I admit it, it's intimidating to me) and enjoy it. Next week we get to actually start welding so I'm crossing my fingers it goes well!

I dropped my Wednesday night class before ever going to it. I had only twenty minutes between classes and it was putting me home at night. I do not want to be in class at night this semester. It's exhausting and I miss my family when I am gone in the evenings. My goal this semester is to focus equally on home and school (and potentially a job). I was given an override for another class I wanted to take for Friday mornings, so I'm pretty happy (the class didn't meet today because of a four-day holiday weekend).

My dining room table has been turned into a fort. Chase started hanging beach towels yesterday morning and has disappeared for a good portion of the afternoon. Occasionally I see his toy periscope poke out between the folds and aim toward me. I also occasionally hear him taking notes about my activities. Hmm. I advised him that the fort can stay up through the weekend, but Sunday it has to be cleaned up.

Speaking of Chase, he and I sorted all of his clothes yesterday, and I am sad to say he's going to need a lot of new pants this fall. None of the pairs he could fit in back in June still fit. He's grown an inch since May and is now happily standing at 5'1 1/2" tall. Scary that he's only going to be ten in a month. Oh and I have to mention this (now that he has given me permission to do so), while he was changing from shorts to jeans I noticed he had drawn on his leg. He tried to hide it, but I finally got to see he had gotten his hands on a Sharpie the other day and wrote "I <3 Mom" on his leg. If he would have let me snap a picture, I would have, but refuses to let me document this any further. It's really hard for me to ever be upset with him.

Oh yes, my car went back to the mechanic Monday afternoon to be checked again. I gave them a new list of potential issues. It took us over six attempts to get it jumped just to take it over. So I asked them to check the starter and the multifunction stick. The car came back home Wednesday afternoon undiagnosed. I was to the point of wanting to pull my hair out. I decided I would take it to Dale's mechanic, give them a timeline of issues and symptoms and we'd see what they could find. I called Dale's mechanic yesterday, gave a basic run-down and he said he was pretty sure he knew exactly what the issue was and that I could go ahead and bring it in. I had to drop it off late yesterday afternoon so I am hoping they call today with a confirmed problem and a fix (a reasonably priced fix, please pretty please!). I miss my car. I miss not being able to run to the store to get groceries or to pick up last minute school items. I'm relying on Steve when he gets home from work and he's been working a couple of hours away this week. 

And so this is how I have spent the last few days of August and the first few hours of September. It's over 95 degrees today (what happened to my fall like weather from Monday!?) so even though it may be gearing toward fall, I can't get excited when it's so oppressively hot. At least the garden doesn't seem to mind.

Our biggest tomato so far these season!

Hope everyone has a wonderful, safe Labor Day weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment! Hearing about your friend homeschooling her autistic children was very encouraging to me at a time when I am really needing it.

    I'm impressed to read that you are taking welding! Do be careful though! My oldest son took it last year in high school and was always coming home with singed pants. Scarred me half to death!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cynthia

    You're welcome Cynthia! I know that your homeschooling will be quite successful.

    I think that is my biggest fear is coming home with a nasty burn, or wearing a pair of gloves that aren't right and having them melt or something! Eep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tomato is gorgeous! I look forward to hearing more about that welding class. Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tomato. We never had warm nights so all our little buddies are tiny and green...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot wait to here what you think of welding class! I think it is good you dropped the night class, that would have been too much stress with the family and all. Good luck in your studies and I hope your car is fixed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's wonderful that you are taking welding! We bought a welder over the summer and I have been wanting to use it, but so far these guys of mine won't let me!
    Chase is almost ten? Get ready because he hasn't even hit his growth stride yet! I have a 14 year old that I promise grows nightly! He is up to 6' and still growing! He passed the 18 year old two months ago. The hard part is keeping them fed...boys are always so hungry! It makes me laugh when they get up in the middle of the night for a snack...wish I could eat like that and not have to worry!
    Enjoy the long weekend Emily.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow

    Thanks Tanna! That tomato came off our "sick" vine, so we are pleased that it didn't rot. Chase always seems to grow really big tomatoes (and he said we have to have it on a burger).

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Baby By The Sea

    It's just starting to cool off in the evenings, but our tomatoes don't seem to mind. Guess they're used to Michigan weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Swanski

    I'm glad I dropped the evening class, too. I just don't want to be away from home at night right now. It's a strain on the whole family. I hope this welding class is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Tracey

    You need to tell your guys to get with the program and let you try out the welder!

    Yep, Chase is not quite ten yet. I'm fearful when he does hit his growth stride that feeding and clothing him is going to be outrageous. Chase is a big eater now but he just runs it out of his system playing.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your tomatoe looks great. Cant wait for tomatoes in my garden!

    ReplyDelete