Thursday, September 15, 2011

Today

Today I was going post about welding and weather and all that goes with both of those subjects.

However, my mind has been elsewhere today, and I was mentally pacing through the afternoon. I decided to hide out at the coffee house, lose my mind and my heart in a Spanish latte and knitting.

I was waiting on a call from my Mom.

Mom had a not-so-good mammogram on Saturday and needed to have another mammogram (and ultrasound) performed. She was able to have those scheduled today.

I kind of figured that when she didn't call after an hour things might not be good. When she didn't call after two hours I was ready to climb the wall. It was about three hours later as I was packing up to go get Chase she was finally able to call.

Mom has two abnormal growths that weren't there last year in her left breast. They are, according to her "small, but one is significantly larger". The doctor who was reviewing the in-depth mammogram and the ultrasound said they were "extremely worrisome in shape and size".

She is going to have the growths biopsied on the 27th. They told her that she should have the results by the 30th. She'll be traveling up here on the 3rd of October to spend a week for Chase's birthday. This was the soonest appointment they had available.

This week I did my best to keep her spirits high. That's what I love so much about my Mom. She's okay with talking about potential negative outcomes. I am the type of person that I don't want to be surprised (she doesn't either). By last night we could joke lightly about this.

I told her if needed, I could knit her a bunch of funky hats.

And if she really needed me to, I could learn macramé and make her a pretty nifty set of braids.

I also suggested that in the worst case scenario and she needed to have a mastectomy, that she could think of it that area as a beautiful area for a lovely tattoo (by this time she was laughing).

The worst part of all of this was telling Chase. At first we weren't going to, but he has been suspect all week that something was not kosher. So after she and I got off the phone tonight he and I had a little heart to heart. I remembered how he broke down at the news of my father's heart surgery this past summer and I just did not want him to go through that again. So we snuggled together, and we talked about what was going on, what they're going to do, and that we're going to stay very optimistic. I think he's okay, but I know when she is finally here to visit he'll be better.

There's not a whole lot I can do right now, and it's driving me nuts. So I am going to do what I can do and that is to ask everyone to please keep my Mom in their thoughts and prayers for the next few weeks.

And now I am going to spend more time with Chase.

18 comments:

  1. I thought it was strange that you hadn't post all day so I thought I would check and see how things were going with you all before bed....

    I hate to hear the news about your mom....:(

    I will be keeping you and your mom in my prayers...

    Sending lots of love your way....

    ~~Renee

    A Knitters Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Emily, I am thinking of you and your mom. Sending health and healing her way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you decided to share this. How can we pray if we don't know? I'm definitely praying for your mom! Do you mind telling me her name... It feels more personal to be able to pray for someone by name... keeping in mind that God knows, it's just for me. I'll be praying for you too Emily... and Chase.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second what Debbie posted! I am so sorry Emily. I have been there, done that with the BIG C and want you to know that we are all thinking of you. Take care and I hope Chase is doing well with all of this. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous

    Thank you Renee! We all appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @no spring chicken

    Thank you Debbie. My Mom's name is Sandy. We all appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tracey

    Thank you Tracey. My mom (Sandy) and I are extremely grateful. Chase seems to be okay today. He just wants to know why they won't just cut it out and be done with it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for you mom! And praying for you. That is extremely stressful and to wait all those days.....yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm sorry!
    Sending warm thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hoping and praying for you, your mom and Chase. It is so hard to predict how little ones will react to difficult news and how much they understand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Swanski

    Thanks Karen, we definitely appreciate it. I would be going nuts (moreso than I am now) if I had to wait that long. It was the soonest appointment unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Julia

    Thanks Julia. Chase handled it really well, and I think it not just being sprung on him really helped. Plus I got all technical with my explanation (which he appreciates). He seemed good this morning, and probably feels better knowing what is going on (like I said.. he was on to us from the beginning).

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry I am late to this Emily. Sending love and prayers from over here to you, Chase and your Mum - she always sounds such a wonderful person when you talk of her - your love really shines through. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mouse sounds a lot like Chase, if you explain everything it is so much easier, because they know what to expect. Parents are not as good at keeping things from their kids as they would like. I hope knowing will help him, and that your mother will have a good outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Julia

    I try to be completely honest with Chase when it comes to things. He likes to know what the potential outcome can be, and if can understand what the process is, he's better. I know he is fiercely attached to all of his grandparents so knowing someone is not well raises a concern for him.

    Thanks Julia!

    ReplyDelete