Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday! Today we join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists in her weekly knitting and reading post. Stop by and join in the fun!

Coffee and yarn. I just need the chocolate now. ;-)


After I finished the kerchief for myself last Friday, I still had another skein of the Optimistic yarn left. I decided that such a beautiful yarn needed to be made into a hat for my Mom. I figure she could use a little optimism right now (and a hat doesn't hurt). I'll be sending it off to her tomorrow.

I also started Gena's scarf for her! This is the second pattern attempt, and I am much happier with it. The yarn is Quince & Co's Lark yarn in Frank's Plum. It's a lighter weight wool, which I picked out because Gena lives in South Carolina and I didn't think she'd need a heavy scarf (besides, she wants something fashionable and functional). The first pattern I attempted has mistakes in it. I thought maybe it was just me, but I saw a lot of corrections in comments on it. I decided I didn't have time to work through piecing all the corrections together and hunted for another pattern. It's simple enough, but I get to put a cable in there which I really like. I'm hoping this weekend to start my Dad's sweater (woohoo!) so then I can have two projects going at once.

On the reading front, I have not finished my book from last week. This week I am preparing for two exams so my focus has been on studying. Maybe next week I can finally finish it!

I discovered this morning when I wandered to my little coffee house that I had forgotten my cable hook at home. I am notorious for sticking them in my bun when I'm knitting, but last night when I finished instead of putting it with my yarn, I left it on my end table. It's amazing what I forget to put in my yarn bag and need when I go out to knit. Last week, for instance, when I started the kerchief and I needed place markers. I ended up taking out two of my small hoop earrings to hold me over until I get home. And lets not forget when I needed a needle to finish off Chase's chainmail armor and I asked for twist-ties and was able to cobble together a usable tool (my barista buddies are quite amused by all of this). So I am thinking of putting together a very simple kit to stick in my bag only to be used while out and about. I'll keep an extra needle, place markers, cable needles, and maybe even a small measuring tape in it. As for this morning, I did have a set of DPNS in the same size and one of those worked, but it was not a happy experience. Definitely need to put a kit together!

Oh and speaking of cobbling together tools.. My Mom is starting on a baby sweater that requires size 3 needles for the ribbing. She only had size 3 DPNS on hand. Ultimately she ended up binding two together (twice) so she would have long enough needles. I was rather impressed by this!

Anyway.. I am off to read and see what everyone else is working on before heading to welding class. Happy Wednesday!

31 comments:

  1. Yes, do make the travel kit. Mine has been a lifesaver. And I've done that thing with the twist ties to substitute for a needle before. :)

    Stopping in from yarn along. My link is http://blog.mymummyknits.com/yarn-along-34/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hat for your mom and the idea of a traveling kit!! You may have just inspired my Christmas list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hat for your mom looks great! Great improvs for your notions. But a kit would probably make your life easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nin-Carol

    Thank you for stopping by!

    I think I will be putting my travel kit together in the next few days to have on hand when I go out to knit.

    Glad to hear of someone else being resourceful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Julia Uh oh.. hope the idea of a travel kit doesn't add to your Christmas creating list stress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely think your mom needs a hat! I also cobble together tools. I have used pens, pencils and sticks for needles. If it works, use it. Of course, a kit would be a bit easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always carry everything in one bag just so that I do not forget anything....however I grabbed some knitting without my measuring tape. I used a piece of paper to measure 8 1/2 x 11 !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes - I often leave important things behind like that, but now I am crocheting it is much simpler. I love your Mum's hat - and that plum shade is beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a bag for home and one that always stays in my purse, it has saved me several times when we have been on the road.
    I love the hat you did for your mom and hope she is doing well. Oh, and your dad too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of putting together a travel knit kit! If you do so please share pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Proud Mama

    I think she does, too. And this hat will be nice and stylish for her ;)

    I've used a lot of things before (my favorite was knitting with chopsticks with a ball of yarn I found in my car and chopsticks in my glove box, lol) but I definitely think a kit will make me happier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Swanski

    Ah but see, you have a gorgeous knitting bag and a place for everything! I still carry my goodies around in a Godiva chocolate bag ;) I really should put a kit together in my purse. I used to carry the stitch holders in my wallet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @The Barefoot Crofter

    I hope she enjoys the hat. It's not often she makes something for herself (or has something made for her). I think she'll like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Tracey See? That's what I need -- a bag at home (which I do have) and one for the road. It would make things so much simpler. I'll have to get on it over the next couple of days!

    Mom is doing good. Just trying to focus on the positive (like her upcoming visit). My dad is recovering from his heart surgery but is not as active as he would like to be still. I'm excited because he and my stepmom will be here next week for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @TraceyAnd thank you for asking about them, Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oho, more colourful knitting! The hat looks fabulous! Now I'm quite impressed by how you and your mother solve the problem of needle-shortage, MacGyver would be proud =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is amazing how your mother did that! and you as well, i love the lenghts we knitters will go to!

    i am pretty attached to my little case of essentials, it never failed that when i would take just what i thought i needed, i would need something else! something back at home. now after much experimenting i think i've finally found the perfect solution for me (and nothing gets left behind any more!

    lovely hats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those cable needles have a way of walking away from us, don't they? ;) Love the hat! I'm so glad that y'all like my chicken stir fry! It's one of our favorites too. Have a lovely weekend, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Suddenly clicked that you put your cable hook in your hair bun and not a small cake. (Had the image of it looking a bit like a pin cushion.) Makes more sense. Obviously, I'm feeling a little slow today! Love the hat and I'm sure your mom will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Lori ann

    It never surprises me how I think I have everything packed when I go out and knit, but something always, always gets left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @cpcable

    Thanks Courtney! Hope you all had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the hat!! Yes, I definitely want that yarn...

    Love all of your creative ways to knit on in the face of adversity. I too have been known to get creative when the need presented itself. But, like you I must admit that it would be preferable to just get the travel bag organized. Good luck!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yup, I'm with you. Coffee, chocolate and yarn. Put on some great music and it's a perfect moment for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. No fear, it adds no stress. Sewing up a few little kits won't take few long and will be perfect for several people on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @no spring chicken

    I went to Jo-Ann's to look for more of the yarn (my Mom loves her hat and wants a sweater now) and they don't have that specific color! It must be very popular.

    I also looked at their travel knit kits and they are so not worth the $20. I think I'll be better off customizing my own.

    ReplyDelete