Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday! Today we join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists in her weekly knitting and reading post. Stop by and join in the fun!

(not the greatest pic, I'm sorry, but it's just too dark in the house so I put these pieces under the lamp)


 Remember that purple scarf I was working on? That blasted scarf drove me absolute bonkers for three days last week. The first pattern I found I didn't like for the yarn. The second pattern, simple with cables, didn't cable the way I wanted to. I frogged and restarted it multiple times. I was ready to give up and work on my dad's sweater instead when I flipped through the magazine with the sweater pattern and saw the perfect scarf pattern.

 The downside? It's knitted length-wise. That's right.. 422 stitches. So off I went after careful counting until I hit a snag. SSP. I messed up. I ripped out. Cast on again. Messed up. Ripped out. I did this eight times before I finally stopped touching the yarn. I did so many test runs with various yarns of the pattern section. I read how to do the SSP as a lefty. I even looked at a video on youtube. For whatever reason, I cannot for the life of me figure that blasted stitch out. And it really, really bugs me.

I called my Mom and she said to put it all up and not touch it until she is here. Not touching it means I have it locked in my car because I kept going back to it every time I stashed it in the bedroom closet. Mom says she'll show me, and watch me, to make sure I know what I am doing. Whew, thank goodness for Mom's! Last night Mom said maybe I should do a basket-weave pattern instead. I'm seriously considering this for the pattern. I think it will work with this yarn, add a little texture, but not be too delicate. We'll see. I still need to figure out that blasted stitch. I probably am over-thinking it. Grr.

Now, about my featured projects. I decided to work on my personal project, one that I can just work when I need something to do that doesn't involve too much focus. I really am loving that yarn!

The light blue (Ella Rae bamboo silk in Seafoam) is being used for the Surya shawl. I love this pattern. Those little sunbursts? So fun to make (and not nearly as complicated as I feared they would be). I'm about 28 rows in right now and am looking forward to seeing this shawl grow.

Reading-wise I am still picking away at the same book. School reading is dominating right now and that is where my focus has been yet again this week. I am hoping to get ahead next week so I can focus on reading (and visiting with my company).

Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!

26 comments:

  1. Ok, I don't know what SSP means? Should I be worried since I am a lefty too?
    Bamboo Silk in Seaform sounds like a dream to knit with. Shoot, I just like saying it :)xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like quite a frustrating time. I'm most curious to know what yarn has given you this trouble (so that I can avoid it ;-). Can't wait to see how the shawl turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about your knitting woes. I knit a scarf lengthwise once. That was enough. Love both colors of your new projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the ultimate time out!! I hope your mom arrives soon and unravels the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tracey

    Slip slip purl! I get purl stitches, I get slip stitches. But everything I have read (and I have read TWO different ways to do it!) have me confused.

    Like I said, I am probably over-thinking that stitch, but if I could just figure out what the general way to do it is (again, two different versions?) then I might be okay.

    Oh and the yarn is wonderful to touch and is so pretty. The picture I shot does not do it justice.

    On the Jessica scale of yarn, she loves this the most out of the samples she's been given lately. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @rainblissed

    Oh don't worry -- it's not the yarn causing the problem (the yarn is from Quince and Co -- Frank's Plum). The yarn is perfect and wants to be made into something pretty. I'm just having a pattern issue right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ellen

    It is quite intimidating to knit a scarf length-wise! I just keep thinking of all the wasted time with that scarf and casting on and casting on. I think it's probably a good thing I put it on time out for a while because I'd hate to punish the yarn ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Swanski

    Tee hee.. I'm telling you.. out of sight, out of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, thank goodness for moms!! I'm loving the pattern on your shawl(?)... Wow. That should give you some solace until you can crack the ssp project! ;)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. How frustrating! I'm glad your Mom will be able to sort you out. Your other projects look lovely, I'm sure your scarf will be too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aarghh! How frustrating - I hope you sort it out soon. the shawl pattern looks beautiful. Enjoy your Mum's visit. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So frustrating! Hope it gets sorted soon... good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did the lengthwise scarf thing once too. Ugh. It is pretty though. I am no help in ssp, sorry, but is is just the reverse of ssk?
    The sea foam shawl is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! I'm not laughing at you, but laughing WITH you just to keep from screaming or crying sometimes! LOL! Why is it we are so addicted to this?

    Because once we get our projects going the way we want... there is just so much joy! I'm loving that Surya pattern and the yarn you are using!! Yea! Can't wait to see it.

    The moms think the daughters are pretty darn special, too! ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. @The Barefoot Crofter

    Very frustrating. I keep thinking about how that SSP stitch really should not be complicated and I want to go back and try it. I promised that I wouldn't. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Julia

    Yep, it is just a reverse SSK (knitted on the purl side of a project), but I have read two different ways to do it and I don't know which is the correct way. It's messing with me!

    I don't know if I want to knit this scarf anymore, especially since it is lengthwise.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow

    LOL Tanna! Exactly!

    I'm really loving this Surya pattern, too. Those little sunbursts are so fun to make. It's wonderful to see them form.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 422 stitches is A LOT of stitches to cast on!! I would probably have to attempt that about 20 times before I even got casting on that many stitches right! You made me laugh about having to put it in your car to keep yourself from going back to it. Determination, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so lucky to have a helpful mama! You are brave...I don't think I would even attempt this one. Good for you for stretching your wings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's going to be a lovely shawl. Clearly, anything knitted in 'seafoam' would be. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i really dislike knitting ruts. I love how knitting relaxes me but when I find difficulty with something, I have to put it aside and breath. Love the colors you chose from those projects!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Cynthia

    Lots of counting. LOTS! :) I actually put a stitch marker on after each 50 stitches to help make it easier. As much as I love that pattern, I think I am going to try something else in the end. The pattern just frustrates me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @cpcable

    Thanks! I keep thinking about those stitches when I am working on my own project and it's still bugging me! Whew! Thank goodness my mom will be here tomorrow to help! :)

    ReplyDelete