Friday, October 14, 2011

What's going on with Mom

Mom had her MRI yesterday and met with her surgeon today (she absolutely loves her surgeon).

The cancer is at stage 1. She will have a lumpectomy next Thursday and also a lymph node biopsied. Then she will have daily radiation for six weeks afterward. Her surgeon does not feel she'll need chemotherapy, but said they will decide after the results of the lymph node biopsy are in (that is like a two week waiting period apparently).

So as cancer diagnosis can go, I think this is pretty positive news.

I will be heading down to Indianapolis super early Thursday morning (her biopsy is at 8:30, surgery is at 1pm) and staying through Saturday. Unfortunately her surgeon does not want her coming up here in case of post-surgical complications (which I understand, but I wanted to be taking care of her during her recovery). I may talk to her more about that and explain the situation.

So.. that is that! Mom did all of her pre-op stuff today and is ready to get this show on the road.


10 comments:

  1. Emily, thank you for this. I have been thinking of you and your mom and wondered what was going on. As bad as all this is I am so relieved that it is only Stage 1. I know you want to be there for your Mom and please tell her I am praying for all of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emily! I have been on pins and needles waiting to hear how things were going with your mom. I am so happy for you and her that the plan of action is coming together and that her prognosis is treatable :D Take care!!! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending prayers for your mom and for you. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tracey

    Thanks Tracey -- I told Mom and she is also thankful for your thoughts and prayers.

    The week here was nice, but now I think Mom is ready to get this process underway. We are oh so thankful that it is in the early stage and they were able to catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Swanski

    Thanks Karen! Getting to yesterday seemed like such a long journey, but we are so thankful that everything is in the early stages. Time to get things moving!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a plan and like they are on top of everything. I am happy to hear it is early stage! It is so far being far from someone you want to take care of. You all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad they have a plan and are moving ahead. Thinking of you both and so glad it is "only" Stage 1.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Julia

    My Mom really likes her surgeon and I think that helps a lot. Everyone at her hospital has been so great. I'm still going to see if her doc will let me bring her back here for a week, though! Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers -- we appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Proud Mama

    Thank you! We're so glad it's early stage, too.

    ReplyDelete