Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Quiet

Right now Chase is off to a Scout meeting and Steve is off to barbershop rehearsal. I'm showered, jammied in flannel, and sipping on a warmed cup of coffee.

Other than a certain feline trying to find a new place to sleep since I pitched his beloved box last week (seriously, he's trying to squeeze on the bookcase), all is quiet here.

Quiet is good, though. The weekend was a whirlwind of activity and I am glad for a little down time.

Saturday morning Chase and I had breakfast with a friend of ours which was nice for a change. Then we all went to nose around Jo-Ann's (she's knitting a shawl on commission and I was along to advise on the right yarn to use), then we grabbed coffee and chatted a bit more. Shortly after Chase and I got home, Steve called to let us know he was heading home from work and if we wanted to check out the major craft show in Saline then to be ready to head out the door.

Chase and I went to the craft fair two years ago and were quite impressed. I enjoy going because it again just proves if someone makes it, someone will buy it. The prices on the knitting items was through the roof (forty bucks for mittens?! MITTENS!), but some were rather lovely. I fell in love with a pair of very funky, very me earrings that my wonderful son bought for me for Christmas. I picked up a little cat picture, one by an artist I fell in love with two years ago, that reminds me of my first cat, Chico (I'll be making a post about art within the next week). Overall, it was fun, but it was just so crowded. After the craft show, Steve treated us to lunch at a wonderful Italian place in Saline that has the best eggplant parmesan. Then home to rest.

Saturday night was Scouts night at a local hockey arena. So we all bundled up and headed out to watch minor league hockey. Quite fun! We sat right behind the visiting team (the Soo Greyhounds) and enjoyed the night with other scouts. I love minor league teams far more than professional teams. Their hearts are still in the game. It's hard to believe that a couple of players on the Greyhounds team are sixteen years old! My goodness!

Sunday was a much needed day of rest. I caught up on homework (that I happily ignored on Saturday to play), baked bread, and made pulled pork bbq for dinner. I also read, knitted, and just had 'me' time. Steve worked all day Sunday, and Chase was deep in building a new project of his in Lego.

Monday I started more homework for the week and worked on various projects. I find I am having a hard time focusing right now on one particular project. I hope this doesn't bite me in the end. I'll talk about that more tomorrow.

And confession time. We ordered eggnog a week ago from our local dairy and it is the most amazing eggnog I have ever had. It is so thick and delicious (and I am admittedly not a huge eggnog fan). My uncle teased me about having eggnog so early in the season after I complained about Christmas music on the radio before Halloween, but come now, this is eggnog. And the second confession is I have watched Holiday In Handcuffs three times since Sunday. It's available instantly on Netflix, and I have to say, I love it. What can I say, I grew up watching Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez and they are so fantastic together. I really dislike a lot of the made for ABC Family movies out there, but this one, I enjoy. Maybe it's because it's a family movie, but it's not a sickening sweet one (and gosh, there are a couple of swear words in there!). Not sure what Steve would think if he knew I was partaking in this guilty pleasure of mine.. ;-) Actually, he would probably be relieved that I am not asking for it any longer for Christmas!

I have a lot on my mind right now and I have been spending my time in thought. The potential job is still in the works (two of my references were called today), and my heart is still torn. In the end, my heart won't win, and my brain will, I fear, but I will somehow fix it. Not going to worry about that now.

There are other things.. things we are praying for, hoping for, and will know more of where stand tomorrow. We're trying to remain optimistic.

So for now I am going to lose myself in one of my projects, sip my coffee, and enjoy the quietness for a bit longer.

Happy Tuesday evening.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have been very busy Emily. The craft fair sounds like it was a lot of fun, but $40.00 for mittens is crazy! I am so thankful to learn this wonderful craft.
    I hope whatever decision you make about the job will bring you peace and you will be happy.
    Enjoy a nice and quiet night.
    Much love,
    Tracey
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your potential job works out the way you want it. I love your line, "not going to worry about that now" Sounds like Scarlett O'Hara!! (she always landed on top!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tracey

    Yep -- I thought that was a little outrageous for mittens. I'm so glad to be learning to knit so when I fall in love with something (like a certain felted cloche that was priced at $65(!!!) I can make it myself).

    Hugs to you, Tracey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Swanski

    I hope so, too! It's funny, I've been thinking a lot about Gone With the Wind this week, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great weekend! And if I converted that to UK figures, $40 for mittens wouldn't actually be a lot here =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. @GirlAnachronismE

    LOL! 40 is a lot for me to spend. I know that fiber costs, and time is important, also. But for that amount, I'll make my own. ;)

    ReplyDelete