Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday! Today we join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists in her weekly knitting and reading post. Stop by and join in the fun!

Chase and I retrieved my Mom from Indianapolis on Sunday and she is here with us until the 9th to continue her rest and recovery. With Mom comes many projects and oodles of wonderful yarn!

Mom's collection of sweaters!


The green sweater is Steve's Christmas present. Mom can't recall at this moment the yarn she used (she ordered it from Annie's Attic) other than it is acrylic. She just needs to sew on the buttons (which are in my purse) and then it is complete.

The blue and red striped is Chase's Christmas present. After he found out that Mom and I had Christmas sweaters (and even though I made him a sweater this year), he wanted one for Christmas, too. Chase fell in love with Universal Yarns Wild Berries and thus a sweater was knitted!

Of course the multi-colored sweater is Mom's own sweater. She calls this her "cancer sweater". This is knit using Bernat's Mosaic in Optimistic yarn. She started this sweater at the beginning of October and finished putting it together yesterday afternoon.

And finally, because Mom feels that every teddy bear needs a sweater, the off-white yarn is a current sweater for another teddy bear. She's converting her favorite fisherman's knit baby sweater down to teddy bear size.

Mom would also like me to mention she did finish the toe of the socks from last week, and that she also has 2 1/2 pairs of wristers done. She didn't want them to be shown because she is so completely and utterly unhappy with the yarn they were knitted with (my friend who farmed out her commissioned work to my Mom chose the yarn).

 Reading wise, Mom is currently working on Blood Safari by Deon Meyer. She said so far it is an interesting read.

Moving on to my latest goodies:


See? That drive to take Mom back to Indianapolis last week (and me not being the only driver) paid off with my Dad's sweater! You probably can't tell because I didn't do a great job of laying out the sweater, but I have a total of 8 inches done so far! Woohoo! Slowly, but surely, it is coming together.

I also decided to start work on the socks for my Mom. Since she is here for another week, I'd really like to have one done so that I know it fits the recipient and can make its match accordingly. The downside to this sock pattern? Size ONE needles. Ugh! My hands are hating me right now. I knit and take a break and repeat with these. I just can't do more than three rows at a time without complaint.

I picked up that copy of Knitting Traditions when I was at the bookstore over the weekend. I am so in love with many of the patterns in there! I have sworn off any new projects for the rest of the year, but my 2012 knit list is starting to grow!

So that is what we have been up to over the past week. Oh yes, Chase and I attempted to spin yarn Friday night but I don't think we were too successful. I still have a lot of questions!

Happy Wednesday and happy knitting!

32 comments:

  1. Emily and 'Mom', all the knits are so pretty! I have completed one sweater in my life and it took me forever! Seeing all these beautiful sweaters has me itching to cast on another one.
    Emily, what pattern are you using for the socks? The pattern I have calls for size 3 needles and I really would like to do a pair in size 1. I have the needles,but have never used them.
    xx
    PS- I am preparing your chedder soup tonight. I am putting brocoli in mine and bacon for the guys. Thanks for the recipe and the tip. My guys love bacon in anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You two are knitting machines. I hear you on the small needles. I have a pair on size 0 and am thinking of using 00 for the foot. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful knits! And I think the ever growing list of things to make is the worst part of knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily and Emily's mom! All of the knitting looks fabulous and I bet you never stop knitting and talking...hopefully at the same time! Have a good recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great work - I am not sure I would let Mom and all her wonderful yarn goodness leave!

    Best wishes
    Karen

    (sorry been MIA for a bit - good to catch up!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you have a good visit together with lots of knitting. Size 1 needles? Maybe you should invest in a magnifying glass?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you give your Mom a big hug from me? Please thank for the encouragement. I must have been channeling her just moments ago when I - for the first time EVER - successfully unraveled to the place of my colossal stuff up, got the stitches back on the needle (mostly) correctly and took off from there! I do love that you're both sharing your knitting and reading here. Blessings to you both in this time of recovery. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, both you and your Mom have been very busy! 4 full sized sweaters, 2 socks and a toy sweater? I couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing your mom a speedy recovery!! LOTS of great knitting going on here. I know you two have fun sharing this hobby! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Tracey

    Hi Tracey! I think Mom knits in her sleep. She's knitted five adult sized sweaters this year and so many smaller sweaters. I think they're her favorite to knit! Right now she's going with smaller projects as they are easier on her while healing.

    The pattern for the socks I am using is out of the Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts. They are in the section "Log Cabin Knits" and are called "Oak Barrel Socks". So far it's a nice little pattern for nice little needles.

    Oh I hope you all enjoy the soup tonight! I really need to make it again for my guys.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Proud Mama

    No no no! Too small! This is bad enough, I cannot imagine smaller needles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @*kate

    Thank you! Yes, I think the growing list is the worst part. These are things, though, that have been sitting around wanting to be knit and maybe even be gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Swanski

    Hi Karen! Nope, we are constantly talking and knitting (and drinking coffee).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Karen

    Oh Karen I wish I didn't have to let her go home. She'll be back for the holidays, but it has been so wonderful having here during her recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Ellen

    Haha! My biggest fear is breaking the needles (Chase says that is his biggest fear, too) but so far, so good. It's just so time consuming!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @rainblissed

    Oh wonderful!! I gave her a hug and let her know and she is so happy for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @GirlAnachronismE

    Mom has definitely been busier than I have. She's got a list of what she wants to accomplish soon and is just going at it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow

    Thanks Tanna! My Mom is so happy that we are sharing many interests now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look at all that sweater goodness! Wow, very inspiring!

    I picked up size one needles at the store yesterday...then I changed my mind and put them down. I need to work up my courage for that purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it is so wonderful that your mother can come to your house for some TLC! And, it looks like you have a wonderful heritage of knitting in your family. I picked up that magazine a couple weeks ago and have several things I want to knit in it.....first on the list are the kilt socks. I think it would be fun to do a year of 'knitting around the world' next year. I love the history in these magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  21. blessings and hugs to you and your mom, and quick healing, this is such a sweet post. i love that you knit together, such beautiful projects too. i need to find that magazine, i always like interweave knits.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what lovely jumpers. How nice to share the knitting love with your mum. My daughter is slowly improving her knitting and it is lovely to admire patterns and yarns together.
    Speedy recovery wishes to your mum.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your mom's an inspiration...such beautiful knits!

    ReplyDelete
  24. so many beautiful projects between the two of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @house full of jays

    Oh yes, size one needles are extremely intimidating! But the knitting is going really well with them so far. It was definitely worth jumping in!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Rebecca

    I fell in love with those kilt socks immediately! I love the history, too, and am going to keep my eye out for future copies of this magazine.

    I've loved having my Mom here as she recovers. It's going to be so strange when she goes home!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Lori ann

    Thank you! Mom is doing really well. She's ready to move on to the next step (short and long term treatment). I really have enjoyed the Interweave Knits magazine. I have found so many wonderful patterns in it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Becks

    Thank you so much! I definitely enjoy pouring over patterns and yarn with my Mom now. It's such a special moment.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your mother's stuff looks wonderful, I love the green yarn!

    The sweater you are working on looks great such a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Julia Steve picked out that green -- I think my Mom wasn't really impressed with it at first, but she says it's grown on her.

    I love this brown. It's so delicious!

    ReplyDelete