Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday! Today we join Ginny and all of the other great fiber artists in her weekly knitting and reading post. Stop by and join in the fun!

It's getting harder to find decent lighting early in the morning here!


I have a lot of projects started. Finished, well, that’s a different story. I think the biggest problem is that the biggest project (the sweater for my Dad) is not at the interesting part yet. It’s boring to knit around and around and etc. so I try to alternate between it and something else. No, I haven’t finished my Mom’s socks (I’m past the heel, back to boring).

I made the decision to finish off the skein on the body of the sweater and put it up to work on the sleeves. Sleeves are portable whereas the body is on the verge of being not easily portable. It’ll be a good project to work on in the evening.

Unfortunately, I have misplaced the set of size 9 DPNs that I need for the sleeves of the sweater. I have spent two days going through the house trying to find the needles and I can't find them (or the bag they were in!). I think I will have to pick up a new set, again, this weekend, or this sweater isn't going anywhere.

Instead I decided to work on another gift (one that was quick and easy). Sarah is a good friend of mine (and also my professional photographer) and is the girl who recently moved to Florida. I wanted to knit her something to wear during the winter down there, but also knew she didn’t need something heavy. I saw this pattern weeks ago and thought it would be perfect for her. I used Bernat Satin in Sea Shell (Sarah loves pink), and it worked up quite nicely, I think. I really do love Bernat acrylic yarns. They just feel so good (and again, if they fool the cat into thinking they are lamb or alpaca, it’s gotta be good!). The buttons are just for display (those wooden buttons are actually for my Dad's sweater). I'm going to hunt for the perfect buttons for Sarah. So this is one gift completed, I think five more to go?

Reading wise, I was passed on this wonderful book How to Knit a Love Song. I absolutely loved it. Romance, suspense, humor, knitting.. everything you could want! I hope the next in the series is as good as this first one. Since this book as so generously shared with me, I would love to pass it on!

I also re-read Who Moved My Cheese? for one of my classes. I read this years ago, but re-read it for class and to focus again on who I am, who I should be, and where I want to be going in my life. 

One day she'll actually blog on her own! :-)



As an added bonus, Mom is joining in from afar! With the help of my brother (who took the picture on her phone and sent it to me), I have updates on her projects (Sorry about the picture blurriness). 

Those wristers are actually a beautiful shade of teal. Mom is knitting wristers for her three favorite baristas at my local coffeehouse as Christmas gifts currently. Mom has completed one red teddy sweater, started another cream color one, and she says she has the last one (another red one) on needles. She says she forgot to grab the pieces for the picture, but will include the completed sweater next week. 

On the reading front, Mom has Man Law by Adrienne Giordano and says she really enjoyed it. She won’t go into further details because I have yet to read it, but says it was a great read.



 Hope everyone has a wonderful week. Happy knitting!

16 comments:

  1. it looks like there is a lot of knitting going on! the sea shell yarn looks so soft and your friend is so right about not needing anything heavy...it's a little warm here in the south!
    your mom has been quite busy too[love the wristers] and i look forward to visiting her blog.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you have been quite productive! Good for you. Your mom's projects look great. I hope she is still feeling good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow lots of projects on your needles! good luck with the sweater - I remember when I had to knit the boring part of my first sweater ever and I measured it after every row to see if it's long enough yet :D

    the book sounds lovely! I'll have to try and find it somewhere...

    your mom's projects are awesome - I love the colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why does it seem like parts of sweaters enter a black hole. Everything looks great as always, Emily & mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Tracey

    I really do like the Sea Shell yarn. I may make another one for someone else, or use it for another project (I gotta stop thinking of new projects to distract me!).

    My Mom is a knitting machine. I told her I would set her up with a blog when she moves in (hopefully next year). But I am happy to share my yarn-along posts with her now. :) I know when she is back in December she'll be stopping by everyone's blogs to see what she's missed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Swanski

    Thanks Karen! Mom is doing pretty good. She's back at work, taking it nice and slow. Her nerves are still doing funny things (like if she cries it feels like running water along her left arm), but overall she's feeling pretty good! Thank you for asking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jarka

    Haha! I have done that before. Thankfully (maybe?) I have misplaced my measuring tape shortly after I measured the sweater for the last time (at 10 inches). I think it disappeared with my DPNs. ;)

    Mom is all about color right now in her knitting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Proud Mama

    Thank you! I think there is a black hole here, definitely. Sweater pieces, needles, measuring tapes... they're all disappearing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go girl! They may not be finished but just think how many will be done at once... :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. so much knitting going on, emily, i love that you and your mom do this together, it makes me smile each week. that was sweet of your brother to send the phone photo. and i'm glad you liked the book (it started with me) i think i forgot to say it would be fun if everyone put their name in it. i liked it too, i've never read a book like it before. fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a sweet little cowl and I adore the pink you chose for it! Those wristwarmers look splendid, too. I know how hard it is to snap a decent picture of something teal. It always comes out way too blue =/ It's nice to see so many projects in the making, so I'm definitely not the only one with too many WIPs =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, love the family commitment to knitting, you your mum AND your brother. Lots of lovely work going on there.....
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. @no spring chicken

    Yes, that's exactly my thought, Debbie! I'll just be finishing them up like a well oiled machine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Lori ann

    I love the idea of everyone sharing a book! I'm so glad that you started it, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @FlauschiOhren

    Oh no, I have many WIPs! I knit what I feel like knitting or am in the mood for. Sometimes I need simple, sometimes I need complicated. :)

    And yes, Teal I think is one of the worst colors to get a picture of.

    ReplyDelete