Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and Happy Hanukkah and Joyous Solstice! We are in the middle of a wonderful time of year. Today Mom and I are pleased to be linking up with Ginny in her weekly yarn along post.


Laying out all of the knitting projects this morning for a picture with two very nosy cats nearby was quite fun! Jessie tried to run off with a ball of yarn, and this picture was snapped seconds before Sage plopped his massive body onto the baby sweater.

We'll start with only contribution and those are the completed sleeves for my Dad's sweater. I still have to finish the body (I know, I know!), which I have been instructed to continue with once I am done with this post (I really do my best work when under pressure).

In the past week Mom has knitted a pair of purple wristers for Chase's teacher, started a teal colored teddy bear sweater for her newest teddy bear, and is working on a baby sweater for a friend of hers. The sweater is in process of being pieced together.

Reading wise, I sadly have to say that other than re-reading recipes for holiday baking and reading every one's blogs, I have not had a chance to crack into a new book. I finished up my exams and then focused on getting the house in order for Mom's return. Since Monday night we have been going non-stop.

Mom started reading Skipped Parts (I am dying to talk to someone about it!). She also re-read a favorite of hers: Christine Feehan's Shadow Game.

And now I am going to take a moment to share a wonderful gift I received this week.

I found a friend of my Mom's on Facebook over a year ago. This woman was a part of my childhood. Her two sons are the same age as my brother and myself. We used to spend countless summers together off the coast of Maine. She and Mom were serious knitters together. Jody moved to Florida a few years ago, and when I found her on Facebook, it was like picking up where everyone left off.

The crochet bracelet I made a few months ago that was not the right size, Jody insisted on wanting (sight unseen!). I ended up crocheting another one just for her. Jody mentioned the other day that she was doing some elfing of her own and I didn't really think much of it.

To my utter shock, I received a rather large box Monday afternoon full of yarn.

Gedifra yarn!
There is so much wonderfully soft and beautiful yarn! Reds, pinks, cream, black, purple tweed, and greens. I am in yarn Heaven. 

*love*

When I thanked Jody for her extreme generosity she told me that in Florida there is no need for snuggly yarn and that she knew it was going to a good home. Oh yes. I love it all and now can dream of new projects!

So now I would like to ask for suggestions from you, my friends, on what I could possibly knit for someone who lives down south? I'd love to add a lightweight sweater to my knitting queue for this coming year, but am at a loss to a good decent pattern. Suggestions?

And on that note, I am going to scrounge a few fresh cookies from the dining room, put on a little Road to Avonlea, and continue the sweater.

Happy Knitting!

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic gift! Living in Arizona, I would say we still wear sweaters. Perhaps a light-weight one like the effortless cardi? A felted bag would be nice too. You can never have too many bags. Good luck on the sweater. I have a hood and two sleeves to go on my last kiddo one. Luckily it is for a small person! Have a wonder-filled holiday, emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a felted bag/basket that I made that would be fantastic! It's on my project page. You could stuff it with goodies. I love your gift, you deserve it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an absolutely wonderful gift!

    No suggestion, though. I'm a born and bred New Englander. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, what a wonderful gift! hope you and yours have been enjoying a wonderful holiday season. It gets crazy hectic this time of year, doesn't it?

    Living in Texas, I still love shawls and lightweight sweaters. The A/C is always cold when you come in out of the heat! ;) blessings to you and yours ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete