Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday, everyone! Today is another wonderful day full of sharing of knitting and reading. Joining up with Ginny...

Finished baby sweater.

Shades of blue and green.

I'll start with Mom first. Mom finished the baby sweater for her friend while here (and has trusted me to deliver it) and it is just adorable. I really do like wrap sweaters on infants. Not sure what pattern she used, but I'll ask her once she is safely back home.

Out of the leftover baby sweater yarn, Mom made herself a pair of wristers (both were finished last night) and a hat. The other hat/wrister set is a gift she made for her friend using Bernat's Mosaic yarn in Spectrum. The pattern for the hat is here. And yes, Mom's newest teddy bear needed a sweater and so he is now properly clothed.

On the reading front, Mom finished reading Skipped Parts (and thoroughly enjoyed it) along with The Liberation of Alice Love by Abby McDonald. Mom says she really enjoyed it and says it's full of twists and turns. We both took a read over a Christmas present I gave her The Mystic Cookfire which she is extremely tickled with.

For me, other than the cookbook, my reading was not happening at all. I had more knitting and other things on my list, but I do have two books ready to go for when Chase and I head out tonight.






Sadly, my Dad's sweater is not completed (I've got about 24 more rows to go), but isn't it pretty?? I'm going to keep working on it today and pack what's not done up and take it on the train. He'll get it while we're in Delaware!

That little pink semi-circle is a prosthesis I knitted up for Mom. I told Mom when she was going through the early stages of her diagnosis that I would knit her a boob if she needed me to. She has noticed in the past two weeks that there is a bit of a difference (I think that I glanced at her funny earlier this week and she said "I know! I'm lopsided now! I can't help it!"). So I knitted a simple circle and folded it in half and put poly fill inside it. I stitched one part with purple so if she needs to add or take out filling, or change it, she can. She is quite pleased with the results and has requested a couple more to have on hand.

I'll be clicking around later today, but most likely catching up later this week. Chase and I head out late tonight, and I am also fighting a broken S key on my keyboard (replacement key is on the way to my Dad's). I have lots to talk about and oodles of things to share.

Happy knitting!

14 comments:

  1. Your knitted "boob" was such a sweet (and clever) idea! Good luck finishing the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can finish the sweater! Glad you were able to spend time with your mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little baby knits your mom did, especially as I think knitting for a baby is the best!
    Yes, the sweater for your dad is very pretty, I love the top!
    A knittied boob? Great idea and one I could have used in high school :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dad's sweater looks fantastic. It will be finished in no time! Love all the knits from your mom - especially the teddy sweater.

    My LYS has helped with knitted knockers for the local hospital. Here is a pattern if your mom would like more. http://knittwotogether.typepad.com/TitBitPattern.pdf
    Of course, it looks like you already figured one out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your mom do such beautiful work, Emily!! Can't wait to see that finished sweater. It is looking great. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful colors!
    love the extra gift for your mom!

    been catching up - hope you had a great Christmas and are enjoying your break.

    blessings for a very Happy and Blessed New Year

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Dad's sweater is outstanding!!! He's going to love love love it!!!
    Lots of pretty knitting going on at your place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Swanski

    The sweater is gradually getting finished! I have a deadline now, so it's knit, knit, knit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tracey

    Haha Tracey! My Mom is affectionately calling it a "chicken cutlet" since it is not full sized. LOL!

    I've messed up with the top of the sweater, but I'm okay with it. This was my first attempt, and I really don't think my dad will see the difference. Ah well, I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Proud Mama

    Oh thank you so much for the link!! These are fantastic. I'll have to tell Mom the next time we speak.

    I think there are only 20 more rows (of just regular knitting) before it is done. I'm excited. I have been sneaking upstairs to knit while we're visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Tanna at The Brick Street Bungalow

    Thanks, Tanna! I hope (no, I better be) to be done by Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Karen

    Hi Karen! I've missed seeing you, but am so glad you're back.

    Hope you had a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @steph

    I hope he does. My stepmom has been enjoying her slippers, so I hope my dad enjoys his sweater, too.

    ReplyDelete