Thursday, January 19, 2012

Counting down the days..

Every evening when Mom calls, she tells me how many more days left of radiation treatment she has. We're down to only 18 more days!

Overall her treatment is going extremely well. Two weeks ago they tattooed her breast (nine spots in all) to help with targeting the radiation. Mom had said before the tattooing she would consider maybe having them covered with dragonflies this summer, but afterward she said that it was nothing like her actual tattoos and that was pain/discomfort she'd not like to experience again. And the worst part of it? Half the technicians can't see these blue freckles she has now, so they draw them on with a bright pink beforehand!

One other little hiccup so far in her treatment is that a week ago she experienced a small radiation burn. She discovered a blistered area one evening and had them look at it the next day. This spot popped up near the incision area where the drainage tube had been (the last spot to heal). It's better now, and she is religiously putting the cream they gave her on three times a day.

But, she no longer feels like there is running water trickling down her arm or chest. She's tired, but not overly exhausted, and her hands are still freezing cold (I've got to make her another pair of fingerless gloves). She's also excited that, even though this is not the goal, she has lost ten pounds since starting treatment. That reminds me.. does anyone have any good recipes that involve quinoa? Mom started eating quinoa in December and loves it, but would like more recipes. Oncologist doc #1 is really big on eating healthy and told her to continue with the quinoa.

Mom has met some very nice people thus far in her treatment. She has been getting rides mostly from the American Cancer Society to her treatments (Mom doesn't have a vehicle of her own right now). Everyone has been extremely nice. She also has met some wonderful people who are either going through treatment or are bringing their loved ones in for treatment.

So for now, we are counting down the days...

16 comments:

  1. Glad your mom only has 18 more days left. I know those are a lot of days when you are the one having the treatments though. Prayers for her... blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanna. Mom says it's just part of her daily routine now. I hope she plans on doing something special the last day. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your mom update, I was wondering how she was doing. I do think of her often. Sounds like she is doing very well and I hope her treatments are successful and a thing of the past :) Get cracking on those mitts!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for keeping her in your thoughts. :) The mitts are done! Mom saw Onco doc #2 today and he said everything she is feeling is classic of being midway through (being tired, being sore, etc).

      Delete
  3. Emily, thank you so much for the update, I think of your mom often and I wondered.

    Quinoa is my favorite and I eat it a lot as I don't eat meat. One of my favorite dishes is:
    Cooked quinoa topped with:
    Onion, bell pepper and garlic sauted with kale, and sprinkled with feta cheese.

    You can find some really great recipes here:

    http://www.101cookbooks.com/ingredient/quinoa

    This woman knows her stuff and I have not prepared a recipe of her's that wasn't great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey for the recipes! I read them off to Mom last night and she is quite excited to try them all (I think I may try a few myself). And thank you for asking how Mom has been.

      Delete
  4. Thinking of you both during these days. Such a tough lady! I love quinoa. I see the Tracey beat me to the 101 cookbooks link. I love her recipes. I make the quinoa bowl often to raves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Mom is really starting to love quinoa herself. She appreciates the recipes.

      Delete
  5. Eighteen days! I'm counting down with you both...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily,
    I am happy to hear things are mostly going well with your mother. I don't use quinoa but I asked a few friends. Chef friend suggested this recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Little-Quinoa-Patties-365029 and another suggested replacing cooked rice with cooked quinoa in favorite recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bless her heart emily, so glad your counting down the days.

    from my nutrionist:
    a cup of quinoa
    1 zucchini, chopped
    2 chard leaves, chopped
    1carrot, chopped
    1/2 white onion, chopped
    1/2 cup corn kernals
    1/2 cup string beans
    3 cups water
    1 avocado, chopped

    bring water to boil, add quinoa and all other ingrediants (except avo), cover and simmer for about 15 mins, or until all water is absorbed (you may have to adjust the water amount here, depending on how many veggies you use). serve with chopped avo garnish.
    we eat this at least once a week, and are able to get all organic veggies from the local farmers market, except corn now, which i buy frozen (organic).
    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom and I both think this recipe sounds delish! Thanks for sharing Lori, we both appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  8. sending strength to your mama. so glad the end of treatment is soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are glad it's almost done, too.

      Delete