Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sometimes you just know something is not right.


 
While watching Chase in his epic snowball fight, I received a text message from my stepmom. It was brief: my dad was on a respirator. I had a bad feeling that something was going on since I hadn’t heard from my dad at all on Friday. I tried calling, texting, emailing, facebooking, and looking for him on Skype. When my stepmom texted me, I knew it was probably not good news. 

Dad has been fighting what we thought was a cold since the middle of December. He and Fara (my stepmom) both had colds prior to Christmas, and Dad just seemed to have a cough that wanted to linger. Apparently he saw his doctor on Tuesday who said it really did seem to be a stubborn cold and thought nothing of it. 

Last night Dad had a coughing episode that scared Fara enough that she finally put her foot down and insisted they get him to the hospital. 

Pneumonia.

Sedation and respirator.

ICU for monitoring.

Septic Shock.

They’re having a hard time getting his blood pressure to come up and stay within normal range. The doctors have told my stepmom that if the antibiotics don’t kick in within ten hours, the outlook isn’t good. Right now it’s an hour by hour waiting game.

I asked my stepmom to ask the doctors about ARDS.

She’s not requesting the family to come yet. Her sister is on her way from Virginia Beach so she isn’t alone. My brother and I are on alert.

Please, I humbly am asking for prayers for my Dad.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, Emily, you and your dad are in my thoughts. Sending healing vibes his way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather -- we appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. sorry to hear that. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending prayers on behalf of your dad and your whole family--you all are in my thoughts for sure. Hoping for a positive update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! No news overnight, so I am hoping Fara has good news this morning.

      Delete
  4. oh emily, prayers are being sent at this moment. i don't know what ards is but i hope it helps. stay strong dear.
    love from california.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. ARDS is Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. It comes on quickly and not something we'd want. I worry because my dad already has kidney failure and the pneumonia seemed to happen pretty fast. I'm just waiting on an update now.

      Delete
  5. My dearest Emily, I am so very sorry and of course I will be saying prayers for your Dad { your mom is on my daily list]. I wish you nothing but good news! Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracey -- Thank you for the prayers. It's not getting better as of this afternoon. Dad's bp is so low that his organs aren't functioning normally. We're praying things get better.

      Delete
  6. Hope your dad will be ok. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Emily, I'm praying along with you for your dad (and your mom, who gets a daily prayer, too). I'm also praying for strength for you--you certainly have a full plate right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am praying for your dad! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Emily. I am so sorry. I am praying. blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete