While watching Chase in his epic snowball fight, I received a text message from my stepmom. It was brief: my dad was on a respirator. I had a bad feeling that something was going on since I hadn’t heard from my dad at all on Friday. I tried calling, texting, emailing, facebooking, and looking for him on Skype. When my stepmom texted me, I knew it was probably not good news.
Dad has been fighting what we thought was a cold since the middle of December. He and Fara (my stepmom) both had colds prior to Christmas, and Dad just seemed to have a cough that wanted to linger. Apparently he saw his doctor on Tuesday who said it really did seem to be a stubborn cold and thought nothing of it.
Last night Dad had a coughing episode that scared Fara enough that she finally put her foot down and insisted they get him to the hospital.
Sedation and respirator.
ICU for monitoring.
They’re having a hard time getting his blood pressure to come up and stay within normal range. The doctors have told my stepmom that if the antibiotics don’t kick in within ten hours, the outlook isn’t good. Right now it’s an hour by hour waiting game.
I asked my stepmom to ask the doctors about ARDS.
She’s not requesting the family to come yet. Her sister is on her way from Virginia Beach so she isn’t alone. My brother and I are on alert.
Please, I humbly am asking for prayers for my Dad.