Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday, everyone! Today is another wonderful day full of sharing of knitting and reading. Joining up with Ginny...

I asked Dad on the way to the train station last week what I could possibly knit him that he would like. I don't want to knit for others if they feel obligated to accept an item. Dad said while a sweater would be nice (and he really liked the idea of the other sweater buttoning down the left side), he really wanted socks. Dad does home dialysis six nights a week and the room where his machine is set up is freakishly cold. Dad spends his time on his machine (3 hours if it doesn't act up) in the evening with a heated throw on plus a little heater at his feet. He said his feet just never feel warm. Okay! Socks it is! I had already decided that 2012 is going to be the Year of the Sock, so he gets the first pair as a late Christmas gift (Chase is okay on his socks being bumped down the list because he got a sweater out of the deal).



In an effort to use up some of my stash yarn, I decided that the other skein of the Cascade 220 Heather in that mossy green I love I would use for his socks. I really love this yarn and am seriously considering ordering more from the semi-lys.

I finished reading The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, and I have to say that overall I enjoyed it. Once I got used to the fact that none of the dialogue was in quotations, I relaxed and settled into read. Yes, in a few parts it seemed rushed while in others it dragged, but it really was a good read. It's quite a sad story, honestly, that only got sadder within the last 30-50 pages. It's your typical family, with typical family issues, mixed with extraordinary personal quirks.

I am excited to talk about knitting group. After the experience at the local library that Mom and I felt back in October, Karen (my WONDERFUL mother-in-law) decided another knitting group was needed at the other branch of the library out in the township (where she lives). She started working out the details with the event planner there and religiously spent every Thursday evening in November (save for Thanksgiving) through December sitting in the lobby with a sign, letting people know there was going to be a knitting class offered Thursday nights.

Karen says that the group that meets at the downtown library (my branch) has been there for over ten years and they are kind of stuck in their ways (yep, I certainly got that). They weren't too friendly, and if you had questions about a certain stitch, they did act like you were a bother. Karen has no problem teaching knitting, and that is what the first hour of the time slot is -- beginning knitting. When I walked in last Thursday, she had eight new knitters (two lefties!!!) sitting at the table waiting on instruction. I was so excited for her. I knitted and listened to her instruction (gosh she is a wonderful teacher) and she had everyone cast on and knit a few rows. The rest of the time is drop-in knitting. Two other experienced knitters join me as Karen continued to teach. All of the new knitters stayed a little later, and one stayed the entire time and knitted a square! It was so exciting.

I'm definitely looking forward to going tomorrow night and see who returns and if we have any new knitters in the group. It is such a relaxed, patient atmosphere. This is the type of in person knitting group I was looking for.

Happy knitting!

30 comments:

  1. First off I have to tell you that we seem to be on the same wave as I have declared the a sock year too! Everyone of my children has requested socks, so socks it is!
    I wish I lived closer and could attend your mother in-laws knitting group! I don't know a soul 'in real life' that knits so I am very grateful for all the internet friends I have met.
    I would be lost without y'all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tracey, I wish you were closer, too, because I am sure you would have lots of fun with us! Thankfully there is the internet and we all get to meet wonderful knitters from around the world.

      Hooray for socks! :)

      Delete
  2. I so enjoy my knitting group-but it is way more talking than knitting :) Let us know how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will! I have high hopes for this group.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry about the lousy experience you had with Knit Night. That truly sucks.

    We got rid of the very people you described over the course of the past almost five years that I've belonged with my knitting group. That attitude is *not* tolerated anymore and we make everyone new who shows up feel welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely don't think any bad attitudes will be tolerated with this new group. Karen is very patient, but she also doesn't want new knitters to be scared off by other knitters. I'm looking forward to tonight!

      Delete
  4. I'm going to knit my first pair of socks ever!!! - well, not right now, but one day in 2012 :) I can't wait :) ... I wish we had some knitting groups where I live but knitting is not very popular here ...I'll have to change that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely start a knitting group! I bet you would have a lot of interest in it. And yay! More socks! Can't wait to see when you start.

      Delete
  5. Some day I will find a knitting group. Sounds like a wonderful group your MIL has gotten going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the socks! So sweet to make them for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your knitting group sounds wonderful. I am so glad it is working out. It is sock year here too as I noticed I have a few too many skeins of sock yarn. I made my Dad a pair of socks for his December birthday this year with Cascade 220 superwash. He loves them. I am glad your dad will have warm toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have high hopes for this knitting group -- I think it's because Karen makes it so relaxed and laid back. Yay socks! Oh and I really am in love with Cascade yarn -- I just wish more lys would carry it!

      Delete
  8. Awww.....your Dad will love having woolies on his feet that his loving daughter knit for him. I think it will be a blessing in more than a physical way. I just started a knitting group using Ravelry as a search tool and I'm very excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool! Good luck with your knitting group!

      Delete
  9. Emily,

    Knit socks for Dad sound like just the thing! Not that I have ever made any... maybe I'll have to try a pair this year. Maybe. I've got to deal with stats and the same horrible professor. So only maybe.

    Yay for knitting group it sounds awesome. The local yarn shop here is trying sort of to set something up so maybe I get one soon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh.. stats.. no thanks. I'm still too afraid to take it (but I will be over the summer). Good luck with stats, I know you can do it!

      I hope your lys will get together a group and you'll be able to go!

      Delete
  10. Knitted socks, oh how I would love to make those! Is it bad that I am tackling a sweater before ever knitting a sock? I felt guilty the other day because I mostly knit for me and friends, sometimes for the kids, and rarely for hubs. Your post reminded me I should ask him! And a knitting group! How fun, I believe I would love that.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there is anything wrong with knitting a sweater before socks. Socks can be very intimidating, but well worth the challenge.

      Definitely see what the hubs is looking for!

      xx

      Delete
  11. Hope the new knitting group is the thing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those socks are going to be so warm and cozy! I wish I could find a nice little knitting group myself. I'm always so intimidated to go and be the new person though! Hope yours continues to go well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always intimidated, too, when going to any public group, so I think it helps that my mother-in-law has been at both groups. But I think you should find one and try it out! Definitely could be fun :)

      Delete
  13. Yay! Your new knitting group sounds wonderful! Wish I could join!
    I love the Cascade Heathers wool. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there are more people at the group over the next few weeks! Love Cascade Heathers. It's just so soft.

      Delete
  14. I love that you've declared 2012 the Year of the Sock. What a great year it will be! So glad the new knitting group was a positive experience...we need more of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really loving knitting group. It was wonderful to see how much the other knitters had progressed after only a week. :)

      Hooray for socks!!

      Delete
  15. I've still never attended a knitting group but should! I know that my skill level would soar if I only had the experience seated right there beside me!!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,

      You should definitely see if you have a knitting group in your area!

      Delete