Sunday, January 15, 2012

Weekending

Weekending, my favorite part of the week. a time to relax, live, love, just to be. if you'd like to share your weekend either with words, photographs, or both, leave a link to a weekend post in the comments. Linking with Amanda .

Chase and I made marshmallows Friday night!


Things didn't start off too well for me this weekend. The purple Purl Ridge scarf I had knitted never arrived at its new home. The package arrived, torn open and damaged, but the scarf and card did not arrive. After spending a good twenty minutes yelling angrily at nobody in particular, I filed a claim with the post office and set to planning a new scarf for the recipient. I may need to re-think my shipping methods in the future. 

Saturday morning I set bread to raise and ran off to yarn shop with Chase in tow. He's always so good at helping me decide on what yarn to pick up. We also attended a lecture put on by Solar Ypsi at our local library. Steve and I have often thought about wanting solar panels on our home (his parents had solar panels on their first home). It's part of our long term plans for our little homestead. Unfortunately, to have solar panels requires money and removing part if not all of the tree in the back yard and I am just not ready to do that. It was quite interesting listening to the debate at the lecture. The man who presented to the group actually was the person who installed the panels on the co-op/bakery in town. I had overheard him talking with a friend in the coffee house back in October and he is just so passionate about solar energy. It was a great lecture. 


Steve came home Saturday evening after two days out of town on business. Today he and Chase went off the North American International Auto Show to look at shiny cars.


I've spent the rest of my time this weekend knitting (one sock is done!), reading, and catching up on missed programs. It's been nice and laid back and for that I am appreciative.

And now I think I will have a cup of hot cocoa with a homemade marshmallow, a piece of shortbread, and I'll look over my recently acquired stash of yarn and a few patterns and see what I can plan out for this year (after the replacement scarf, the socks for Chase, socks for others..)



17 comments:

  1. oh emily, i'm so sorry, how disapointing. things going missing at the p.o. is a worry. i hope where ever the scarf is, it's being loved and appreciated.

    i never knew you could make marshmallows! i don't think i've had one since my kids were small, but i would love to try one of yours!

    i hope this week starts out much better for you!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never made marshmallows before, either, but one of my friends shared the recipe he uses with me and I knew it was something Chase and I had to try. If you're ever interested, it's Alton Brown's recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html They turned out wonderfully! Chase says he didn't know how we lived without homemade marshmallows before. ;)

      I keep telling myself that hopefully where ever the scarf is, it's being appreciated. It still really bothers me, though.

      Have a great week, Lori!

      Delete
  2. Soooo sorry about the gift scarf being lost in the mail. Very sad! Sounds like the rest of the weekend was very good!! The last part sounds particularly good! ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty good weekend in general!

      Oh Tanna! I picked up a copy of the Natural Nursery Knits book you used last year for Littlest Man's outfit (it is so adorable) from our library and I love every single pattern in there. I just need a baby to knit for now! :)

      Delete
  3. One year my sister sent me felted easter eggs and guess what? Package was ripped and there were no eggs! I always mail in a box with lots of packaging tape. Unless it is teeny tiny then I will do a padded envelope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is what upsets me the most was that it was in a box (on of their Priority Mail boxes) and I put lots of tape on it. My friend sent me pictures of what did arrive and it looks like the box was gouged and torn open. The PO was nice enough to put one of their "Delivered without Contents" stickers on the side. I think the replacement one will have insurance and on it, just to be sure.Grr.

      Hmm.. felted Easter eggs..

      Delete
  4. That is such sad news about your scarf Emily! My son's car was broken into Friday night and items were taken from him and his girlfriend, it is such a feeling of violation! I am getting all worked up for you!
    I am glad you and Chase loved making marshmellows as I think it's so much fun!
    I hope you have a great week and get some knitting accomplished. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tracey I am so sorry to hear about your son's car being broken in to! Been there, stressed over it. I hope they are able to recover some of the missing items.

      Delete
  5. What a nightmare! I can't even imagine something like that happening. Way to jump right back on the horse. The only way to move past this is to cast on, right?

    I've never made homemade marshmallows but have wanted to. I MUST remember to do it. Yum.

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie you would love to make these! I was afraid at first that it would be too hard, but it really is an easy recipe and it was so much fun.

      Yep, definitely have to get back on the knitting horse and get another scarf out to Gena. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh no, Emily! I agree with Lori Ann that hopefully someone needed your love and warmth. The funny thing in all of what you wrote is that I was going to make marshmallows on Saturday for the first time. I never ended up doing it, because muffins, cookies, roasted chicken and waffles took most of the time. I think we will make them today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too!

      Oh boy! I hope you all made marshmallows! It's such fun.

      Delete
  7. How frustrating about the lost scarf! Argh! Good for you for casting on again...I don't know if I could be that proactive about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it took me a few days before I was ready to cast on. I still needed my time to be grumbly about it. But now I am ready. :)

      Delete
  8. Bummer, so sorry to hear about the scarf :(. I do believe in karma, so hopefully the scarf was put to good use. I find solar energy fascinating! I think my son would have liked that lecture, too :). Hope that hot cocoa was delicious, it sounds super good to me right now!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. The solar lecture was great. I told my hubs that I would love to have panels on our home. It's part of my 10-15 year plan! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh that is awful! Though I suppose someone, somewhere is enjoying your handiwork and either feeling lucky or guilty.

    I would love to have solar, doubt it is in the plan for a long time, though.

    ReplyDelete