Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekending

This weekend we finally had a decent amount of snow (if we can't see the grass, it qualifies).

(snapped from inside my nice, cozy home)

Sadly, all of that wonderful snow has disappeared thanks to a warm front and a bit of a thunderstorm overnight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it repeats Friday (even early Saturday morning) because, well, what does one do at a winter camp when all of the activities planned involve snow?

Chase happily shoveled for us Saturday morning (under the close supervision of Koda the resident sled dog) before we went out as a family to run errands. He enjoyed his reward of an apple cider latte at the coffee house that afternoon for a job well done.

Most of the weekend was spent being slothy by the fire. It was another long weekend for Chase (a teacher workday today), so I was in no real rush to do anything major. So instead I knitted.

Jess lives in front of the fireplace during the winter.
I've been working on putting a package together to send to my Mom this week of recipes (thank you everyone for the quinoa recipes!), patterns, yarn, and other little goodies I've been collecting. I decided that since I already had a package in the making to send off that I would work on a pair of mitts for her.

Diagonal Knot Mitts

I used a thicker skein of yarn than what the pattern called for (and a size smaller needle) because Mom needs warm mitts. The yarn I used was the Tipperary Tweed that Jody had sent me. I think they turned out really well! I've been having issues adding a project page to Ravelry, but I will get that info updated asap.

So that was my weekend in a nutshell. Quiet and rather peaceful. I'm hoping that this week is great for everyone!

24 comments:

  1. i think a weekend with snow is the perfect excuse to lounge by the fire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say exactly what Amanda said! I wish we would get at least a dusting of snow! Of course, with all the bridges here and no one being use to snow, my whole town shuts down [ we did get 3 inches in 1989].
    I think your Mom is going to love the mittens. I am so glad she only has a little while left of treatments and then she will have time to blog ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Tracey you just need to come visit sometime and enjoy our snow (when we actually have some, of course). I hope Mom loves her mitts. She should have them tomorrow so after her treatment she might have her package waiting for her! I think right now she is working on a hoodie for herself. She's been wanting to join in with the knit-along but she's been really tired lately (and now apparently very sore) so she's not up to taking pictures in the evening. Ah well!

      Delete
  3. oh! snow, a fireplace, knitting! emily, it all sounds so perfect to me. your mitts for your mom are going to be so nice for her. and what a sweetie chase is, i'm glad he got his latte! sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apple cider latte is his seasonal drink of choice right now (and they may be out of cider soon so he'll switch back to chai) and he (and Steve!) loves them. Our local coffeehouse has some great drinks to offer.

      It was definitely a great way to spend the weekend.

      Delete
  4. Love the snowy photos. I think it would be a good time for snow. It has been a warm winter for you, right? The mitts look warm. Oh, and I am so glad you were about to have a three day weekend with Chase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a depressingly warmer winter here. This was the most snow received in a 24 hour period (and it may have been 3 inches). I still predict a storm after February 14th!

      It was very nice to have an extra day with Chase, but I think he is becoming bored with me! I think he's getting to that age where hanging with Mom is not always the cool thing to do. *sigh*

      Delete
  5. Ours has since melted, boo hoo. The fireplace looks cozy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo! :( What does a person have to do to get some snow these days?! My parents mini schnauzer, Wolfie, is okay that the snow is gone. She's a true southern dog and really dislikes the white stuff! :)

      Delete
  6. I'd say that was a pretty wonderful weekend!!! The mitts look great--mom is going to be thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she will be! I'm waiting patiently for her package to arrive. :)

      Delete
  7. That weekend seems perfect. We still have snow despite the best attempts of the freezing rain to get rid of it. My sister said to tell you her favorite way to eat quinoa is cooked & chilled, then tossed with tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese with some greek style dressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! That's how mom has prepared her quinoa recently and loves it. I really should get some from our co-op and try some of these recipes!

      Delete
  8. our fireplace is covered up by a t.v. who needs a fireplace in texas right? if a real cold front ever comes through maybe we'll move the t.v and have a fire...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You better watch out Megan.. you might get hit with a freak snow storm after a blistering summer! You may need that fireplace ;)

      Delete
  9. Oh that fire looks cozy! A great way to enjoy a weekend!
    I love the pretty mitts! What a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I may knit more of these mitts in other colors. I enjoy the pattern a lot.

      I love having a fire in our fireplace. I think Jess has the right idea to wait until the hearth is nice and warm then snuggle in and absorb the heat from it. :)

      Delete
  10. The mitts turned out wonderfully!! Love the view out your front door... and the nice warm fire! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. You use the same snow gauge that we do... disappearing grass!

    Love the mitts and the fire. Looking forward to some snow days of my own...

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? It's a great snow gauge, isn't it? :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a comfy cozy weekend, just my kind! I do really hope we have a fireplace in our next home, I love them so much!! The mitts look great Emily and I love the snapshot out your front door :), you live in a lovely neighborhood!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny because a fireplace was a must on my list when we were house hunting. It was just one thing I refused to live without any longer! ;)

      Thank you! I love our little neighborhood. Oh.. and if you ever think of Michigan, the house across the street from us (in that picture) is going on the market! ;)

      Delete