Monday, February 6, 2012

A rollercoaster week

First and foremost, thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers this past week. My family truly appreciates them all!

Secondly, I apologize for not updating sooner. I spent my time in thought this past week and avoiding the internet for the most part.

I am pleased to say that my dad is fully alert and off the respirator. By Wednesday the sedation was completely turned off and we were waiting for Dad to "wake up". He was taken for a CT scan to look for signs of stroke (thankfully there was no sign of a stroke) and we were left to wait a little bit longer. Chase was getting desperate (as were the rest of us). I made a recording Thursday morning of Chase and sent it to Fara's cell phone. Not sure if she played it or not, but a couple of hours later she texted that Dad was waking up. Friday morning they had hoped to remove the respirator, but his liver was not functioning well, so they kept him on. Chase got to call and speak to my Dad Friday evening. He detailed our adventure at Scout camp. It was hard for Chase when he got off the phone because he wanted to see my Dad and his responses to what he was telling him. I told him that until he was off the respirator, he just needed to call and tell Dad a story.

Saturday morning Fara texted they were removing the respirator. Dad wants to go home (they say it will be at least a week), and he wants orange juice (last I heard he wasn't allowed juice yet). He'd also really like to get out of bed (not allowed still) and is determined to have my stepmom help him do so (she won't). Chase got to speak to Dad yesterday and was tickled that he was able to chat back for a few minutes. We were going to call again, but Fara said that Dad had been awake without any naps and that he was not too coherent. We'll try again today.

As soon as Dad is released from the hospital, I'll be heading to Delaware for a bit to help out with the recovery process. I still think it will be at least a couple of weeks before he is clear to go home. There still seems to be no real idea about the infection and what all has gone on here.

Thank you, again, from the bottom of my heart for the prayers and support for my family.

14 comments:

  1. Great news!! I am so happy he is recovering so well. blessings to all ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanna! It's amazing how well he is doing in over a week.

      Delete
  2. Emily, that is the best news and thank you so much for letting us know. I know Chase must be having such a hard time being away, are you going to see your Dad soon? It is so hard since we all live so spread out these days.
    I will continue to pray for your Dad and your Mom.
    I wish you nothing but the best of news this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to go shortly after he is released to go home (which, as of last night, could be sometime today). They're putting a catheter in his neck and he's going to be receiving IV antibiotics for the next 8-10 weeks. Plus he'll have to go to the dialysis center again for that time period. I hope I can go for a week or two and help get him to and from so my stepmom has one less thing to worry about!

      Chase is doing so much better now that he can actually hear Dad talk back to him. Chase is a trooper through all of this.

      Thanks for keeping us all in your prayers!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the update, so glad that your dad is doing better! I hope you have a safe journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very happy he is on the mend. What a tough experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.. it's definitely going to be a slow recovery. They still aren't really sure what happened to trigger all of this.

      Delete
  5. oh such good news, i've been thinking about you emily. and your dad too. i hope your heart is lighter now. sending hugs and love.
    lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been thinking about you so much--looks like you have many positive signs (it sounds like he's getting a bit itchy to do stuff!!!!) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! Yeah, my Dad is not too keen on being in hospitals, or being told he can't do things.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad he's doing better, still sending my love!

    ReplyDelete