Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

Good morning and happy Wednesday, everyone! Linking up with Ginny for another wonderful day of yarn and books..

(I'm having lighting issues again -- Grr!)

I admit I haven’t been reading anything more than a magazine here and there lately. I’m getting frustrated with my library because I have a list of books I’d really like to read, but they just don’t have them. So then I spend my time debating on if I really want to buy a few of those books or will I be disappointed if I do. I’ve been watching the Avonlea series while knitting and am sadly down to the last three discs. I love everything about Avonlea and the characters. I remember watching when I was a child, but I never saw the final season. I’m certainly going to miss them all when the last disc is watched. 

I’m pleased to report that I finished Gena’s scarf last week and I love the results. I debated about tassels as I was finishing and decided not to go with them (I’m forever zipping the tassels on my scarves into my jacket). I used this pattern and chose Bernat Softee Chunky in Lavender (I really do like Bernat’s acrylic yarn a lot!). 

After the scarf was finished I needed to knit something, anything. I had to keep my mind off my Dad and my hands busy. I’ve had the Claudja head kerchief sitting in my ravelry queue for a while and decided I was ready to cast on. I ventured to the bead store, picked out a few different beads, and cast on. I have no idea what the yarn is! It was in my stash, and I have long since removed the tags. Oh well. I fell in love with the color when I bought it (that much I know). I love my Claudja. I wore it all day yesterday! I will definitely be making more in different colors in the future. 

Now about these potential socks. Toe-up? Ugh! Size 1 DPNs? Cringe! Thankfully Youtube had a video of the “magic cast-on” for a leftie. I think I would like this cast-on method if it were on bigger needles. Yes, I think I will need to pick up a pair of metal needles for these. I already see those little wooden ones bending a lot. I’ve put the sock on hold until Thursday for knitting group. I’m at the part where I knit for 28 rounds so it would be good to take to group (distractions welcome!).

The green is the yarn I picked up over the weekend. I'm not so sure about this project just yet, but I hope to be more into it next week at this time. 

Happy knitting everyone!

14 comments:

  1. I'm knitting up my first pair of toe-ups, but I decided to create my own pattern. 'Cause I needed a challenge, don't you know! ;-)

    Good luck with them, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your pattern, Jen! I really do hope you publish it. :)

      Delete
  2. I am a cuff down die hard. I will enjoy your toe up adventure!! I hope your library shapes up and gets some books you want!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of this being a "seamless" toe, but it's on two needles right now and it's really frustrating. I tried to add a needle, but then it looks weird so I went back.

      I hope the library does, too! I have a list I am taking with me tomorrow as a request for them to order these books to have.

      Delete
  3. good luck with it emily! i'm sure you'll do well. i am also a traditional cuff down person, i guess it's the way i learned many years ago. enjoy the rest of your week dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I hope you have a lovely week yourself. :)

      Delete
  4. I so want to try knitting with beads and after seeing your pretty work I must try!
    I didn't know you were a leftie! Aren't we grand?! ;)
    Happy Yarn Along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I am. I think lefties are the best! ;)

      The beading wasn't too bad. I'd love to do more knitted beadwork in the future. You must try it!

      Delete
  5. So many pretty projects. The small needles can be tough at times, but it does get easier. I definitely break my fair share though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't mind the small needles too much until the morning after knitting. My hands are feeling it today!

      Delete
  6. I'm still knitting my first pair of toe ups (well they're in time out right now). I had to cast on 3 times. Yours look much better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know how in love I am with these toe-ups. It's a great idea, and it looks nice enough, but it's just plan bizarre. I hope yours come out of time-out soon!

      Delete
  7. I'm such an old dog--I'm a cuff down gal, too, although I've tried the toe up and just don't see what all the hoopla is about. (It probably gets back to that old dog thing!!!!)
    Lovely projects!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! It was funny at knitting group last night when I showed my toe-up sock to-be.. everyone was just shocked it could be done. We'll see how they turn out.

      Delete