Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

It's Wednesday already? Gosh, the time seems to be flying lately! Linking up with Ginny over at Small Things today..


You know at first I was worried the picture was too dark and the green was going to look black, but it looks pretty good today!

So the Atlantis socks are coming along slowly. I took this poor little sock to knitting group last week and instead I demonstrated how to join in the round on circulars and helped a wonderful lady increase and decrease. Hard to believe that another three week session of Karen's knitting lessons is over and a new one starts tomorrow. Anyway, I am finally to the point in this pattern where I start the fancy stuff! This means the sock will stay at home where I can concentrate and I will take a more portable project with me.

Luckily enough, my shawl is at that comfortable rhythmic pattern that I feel comfortable taking it out of the house. Now that I am comfortable with the pattern (and I have the right size needles), I can happily say that beautiful green yarn is going to become a Sassafras shawl. I haven't knitted a shawl in the round before, but I have to say I am rather enjoying this little project. I'll probably end up taking it with me tomorrow night since I have put it down over the past day to work on the Atlantis socks.

It was funny when I sat down to start this shawl last week and I made the shocking discovery that I do not own a set of size 8 dpns. I had gauged the yarn on a set of circulars, so I knew I needed to have the 8 dpns. Of course when I went to Jo-Ann's they had one set of wooden dpns, with TWO needles missing. As badly as I wanted to start this shawl, I didn't want metal and I certainly didn't want to haul off to the LYS. So I waited until the weekend (when I knew they'd be fully stocked for their upcoming sale) and picked up a set. Whew!

I'm still not reading anything major. I'm really not sure what I am in the mood to read right now, and that leads to commitment issues. I am setting a goal for myself to start a new book (any book!) this weekend.

Time to click around and see what everyone is knitting (and hopefully I will pick up a title of a book while I'm at it).

22 comments:

  1. Emily , your shawl is lovely. I popped over and looked at the pictures and can see why it's now on your needles.
    If you have been clicking around on the yarn along I am sure you have found some great books to read. My problem is I need to stop adding to my list.
    Happy Yarn Along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found a couple of books (and surprisingly the library has them, they're just checked out right now..ah well) so I hope to get back into the reading swing of things soon!

      I'm really loving this shawl pattern. It all looks so jumbled right now, but when I stretch it out, I can see the pattern forming! I can't wait to be done and wearing it.

      Delete
  2. beautiful shawl! and your sock is coming along quite nicely! I'm ready to start a new book as well...hopefully I'll find something through the yarn along!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this sock is making me nervous. The charting for it is unbelievable!

      Delete
  3. Your Sassafras is just beautiful!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl is beautiful. No size 8 dpns? That is shocking! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked! I have every other size (and in some instances two sets). Even Mom said she went through hers and said she didn't have 8s either.

      Delete
  5. I love getting into that comfortable rhythm with a project. It makes me feel accomplished and productive, regardless of whether or not that is actually the case. Your shawl looks cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting into a rhythm, too. I stopped working on the shawl to focus on the sock this weekend and I miss the shawl! Back to work on it.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely shawl - I am kind of looking around for a shawl pattern for a future project atm hmmm Beautiful colour. How good that you were able to help someone learn like that. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a shawl for myself would be nice!

      Delete
  7. I just love the color of the shawl you are knitting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You always have such lovely shades of green yourself.

      Delete
  8. how pretty your shawl is going to be in that deep green. and good luck with the sock, i'm sure it will all come to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sock, sadly, is going to rest for a bit. I'm having issues with the charting and I just don't want to fuss with it more until I am understanding it.

      Delete
  9. I'm always so disappointed when a project gets stalled over a missing needle size. Looks like you're off to the races now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just so funny when I don't have a needle I thought I had in supply. I should really sit down one day and get all my needles organized again.

      Delete
  10. oh, envy is not pretty!
    just sayin

    your work is lovely - can't wait to see the finished project.... crochit in progress I can envision, knitting, not so much! Maybe I just need more practice - yeah, that's it, more practice; in my spare time!

    Blessings andprayers continuing for you and your family
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. shawl is beautiful!!! love the color--love the pattern!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this yarn more and more each day. I'm definitely in a green mood lately.

      Delete