Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things... 


Look! A book!

I should first come clean about my reading habits, or lack thereof, as of late. I had read a book a couple of weeks ago, a political post 9/11 book which I thought was going to be excellent. I was sorely disappointed. I'm not going to mention the title here, but I think that book soured me on picking up something new to read. Determined to start something new by this weekend, and none of my library hold requests coming in (still waiting! Ugh!), I purchased book #2 in the Cypress Hollow series How to Knit a Heart Back Home by Rachael Herron. Let me tell you, Rachael has not disappointed her readers in her second book. I'm laughing my way through, giddy with excitement. I love her writing. This is the perfect light-hearted read that I was in need of.

Knitting -- Well, the socks are on hold. I have spent so much time in the past week converting the chart so I could read it, knitting the chart section on scrap yarn to figure out the issues I was having, and then finally giving up. I honestly think this is going to require going to the semi-LYS (WOOHOO! Trip to Lansing!) for assistance with this pattern. The problem I am having most with this pattern is that there are two different possible stitches that could be used and they're both marked with the same doodle. Hence why I was working the pattern out line by line on scrap yarn before attempting it on the actual sock. Frustrating!

I'm cruising happily through my Sassafras shawl, however. It's like a little surprise waiting to be discovered. It may not look like much on the needles, but you can start seeing the pattern and when it comes off the needles, all will be revealed.

In need of another knitting project, Steve has come to my rescue. He's been going out of town a lot lately with work and has been feeling bored while out in the field. He asked the other evening (while in the 'burbs of Chicago) if I would teach him to knit. Why yes! Steve figures I would be a good teacher for him since he is also a leftie. Later today we're going for coffee and a knitting lesson. I'm excited!

Happy Wednesday and happy knitting, everyone!

30 comments:

  1. Teaching people to knit is so fun! I hope he becomes a convert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve is determined to learn! Next time, I won't try and teach him on size 4s (oops, my bad).

      Delete
  2. I love the way lace shawls look all scrunched up waiting to be blocked. I am anxiously awaiting the finish photo of yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! Like I said, it's like a neat little gift waiting to be revealed. I should get back to knitting it today. :)

      Delete
  3. How great for Steve and for you, I wish my husband would learn as he has so much nervous energy I think it would calm him.
    I'm sorry you must 'force' yourself to visit the local yarn store, but sometimes we must do these things! :)
    Have a happy yarn along day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. the sacrifices one must make. ;) I'll probably make a trip up there next week if I can. It's nice if all of us can go on a nice trip together.

      Steve's biggest concern are his tremors (a side effect from his chemotherapy) while trying to knit. I'm thinking that it might help calm his hands once he gets into a good rhythm.

      Delete
  4. Frustrating when a book just does not work out. Hope you find something that really works soon. Looking forward to seeing your shawl in its full glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very frustrating. I had high expectations for it! Such is life. :)

      Delete
  5. I hate when books turn me off from reading :( I'm glad you got something good again.
    Have fun with your knitting lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!

      Thanks -- I am looking forward to helping Steve. I hope he enjoys it.

      Delete
  6. What fun teaching Steve to knit. Dave is also a leftie, but he has yet to ask. I love how blocking can turn a lumpy mess of a shawl into a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it was a good sign if Steve asked. I kind of pushed knitting on Chase (he's somewhat interested, but he wants to know how to do all stitches immediately!), so it's nice that Steve is taking an interest. I offered to teach Steve to crochet instead (which Chase prefers), but he really likes the idea of knitting. Crossing my fingers here for him!

      Delete
  7. I received Rachael Herron's third book in the series for review and absolutely loved it.

    I still need to go back and read the first two.

    As far as the sock knitting goes...have you tried re-charting it yourself? Maybe assign each stitch a color and, hopefully, that will make things easier for you. It surprises me that the designer would choose symbols that similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'm glad someone has read book 3 because I definitely want to continue her series. I just really love these books a lot.

      Oh let me tell ya, Jen, that is exactly where I ran into problems. I thought to myself "I'll just assign colors to each stitch and I'll be able to read the chart with no problem." That's when I realized there are four total stitches assigned to two different symbols. It messed up my color charting big time! Then I thought I would write line by line out. I think I have the first 10 lines correct (there are 72 in the first chart alone), and I gave up. Since this pattern was designed for the yarn shop specifically, I might try and contact her directly. I don't want to give up on these socks yet!

      Delete
  8. Wow - a date and a knitting lesson all in one. What could be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly! Then maybe he and I can stroll a yarn shop together and he can get excited about the feel of a yarn like I do, instead of looking at and stating the color and "it's soft". ;)

      Delete
  9. My sincerest condolences on your NEED for that yarn shop trip!! (hee hee!!!!) The shawl looks so scrunchy and pretty--I really love the miracle that happens with lace and the blocking thing!! Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. somehow I will suffer through a visit to the yarn shop (and possibly a side trip to the dairy store -- tee hee!).

      I am looking forward to finishing the shawl and seeing it completed and blocked!

      Delete
  10. Lol - my husband said he thought he should learn to knit just this morning!
    Your shawl looks so lovely - what a great colour xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really! Well now see? If only we could all get our hubby's interested in knitting! Will you be teaching him soon?

      Delete
  11. Sharing the knitting love sounds like an excellent project

    ReplyDelete
  12. dear emily, i hope you do get that sock sorted, sounds like your close. it's so cool your husband wants to learn to knit. i am thinking he will quickly with your guidance.
    my own would probably rather walk through hot coals, hee hee. but he is my biggest supporter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve is definitely supportive with my yarn adventures (like driving me to Lansing to the yarn shop for help!). He's coming along slowly. :)

      I think I have the sock issue sorted and am going to try it again today.

      Delete
  13. How wonderful to be able to share knitting with your husband!! Looking forward to seeing that shawl. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he enjoys knitting -- not expecting him to become a die hard fan, but I hope he doesn't give up too soon!

      Delete
  14. A lesson over coffee? Perfect. I'm just glad my little ladies want to learn how to knit. They're working on one of those little mushroom knitter tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was a great little date for us. :)

      I need to get one of those mushroom things for Chase. I think he'd really enjoy it over knitting.

      Delete
  15. Sometimes you just need to work it all out with another person. Hope the socks come together! And kuddos to you for recruiting Steve to the world of knitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Oh gosh it made such a difference having someone look at the pattern. Whew! :)

      Delete