Friday, February 24, 2012

Why I love the Semi-LYS

Yesterday afternoon, Steve decided on answering the question that had been plaguing me all morning: I need to visit the yarn shop in Lansing, but is it worth the drive considering gas just sky-rocketed and there is potential snow doom heading toward us? Yes, yes it is worth the trip! It's so nice that Steve understands me. :) So we loaded up and headed north (with a promise to Chase for a stop at the MSU dairy store for a root beer float)

The same girl who helped me a few weeks ago helped me again yesterday. I was able to pull my eyes away from a color of yarn I fell in love with, and pleaded my case. While Steve and Chase sat and in the back, she (gosh I need to find out her name!) sat down with me and we looked at the pattern together. Aha! A second set of eyes is always great to have! As it turns out, when I copied the pattern (the key for the symbols is 4 pages after the chart, so I copied the key so I could hold it on the same page as the chart), it didn't copy the fine lines of the graph! Now it made sense. Since I hadn't brought my sock with me (again, this was a last minute decision -- we were going to the bookstore originally), I promised I would try it out as soon as we got home.

And since I was already there...


I picked up the newest issue of Interweave Knits and the skein of yarn I had been eyeballing: Lorna's Laces Honor -- Purple Mustang. I only bought one skein of it (because I hate buying too much yarn without a project in mind), but gosh I love this yarn. It's purple and wonderfully soft and .. and I want it all for myself! I think Mom would fall for the color, too. I have found a project for just one skein, and hope to cast it on sometime soon.  And yes.. there is my sock in progress! I'm enjoying the pattern now! Hopefully by the next Yarn Along I'll have made even more progress.

But on to the list of why I love the yarn shop. It's definitely because the girl did recognize me (and knew the exact day I was in there). It's definitely because I feel so at home there and that she was so willing to help me with the pattern (she even said if I had my copy with me, she'd help me color code the chart -- something she loves to do for her own patterns). And yes, I would definitely have to say that when in a fit of frustration I emailed the owner (who wrote the pattern) and asked if she had a non-charted version, she emailed me back last night with the non-charted version and told me to call her anytime if I still had problems. Of course being able to look at all the wonderful books, and even more wonderful skeins of yarn helps, too.

Now I am off to continue working on the sock. I have a goal to reach for the night before I swatch for the purple skein.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

16 comments:

  1. So glad they were able to help. Do you like this issue of IK? I passed it on to a friend already as I wasn't excited about it. (Did I make a mistake and miss something?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I'm honestly not too thrilled about this issue either. Usually I have a few patterns in them that I am excited about but not this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the yarn you bought! Purple is the best. I agree with the issue review....not much I want to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's disappointing after having waited and waited for the newest issue to come out. Hopefully it will be better next go 'round!

    Oh this yarn is so wonderful. I swatched it last night and I didn't want to put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear emily, i love that the girl was so helpful to you, what a sweetie. and i'm glad you've gotten the pattern sorted. beautiful new wool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this sock pattern is interesting! Turns out there is a difference in the charted pattern and the written pattern the designer gave me. I've got it figure out and am progressing nicely!

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a fab LYS :) Love the yarn you bought, such a pretty colour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful place! I love the yarn, too. It's so soft and easy to work with.

      Delete
  7. what a win-win!!! Hope Chase got his stop, too!!!
    I didn't find much in the newest Interweave, but I always love to read the ads--and they are always good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes.. if we go up to Lansing, we have to stop for treats from the dairy store!

      I like to read the ads, too.

      Delete
  8. your semi LYS sounds great! We dont have any yarn stores close by, just craft stores that sell ugly acrylic yarn. I so dream of one day visiting a wonderful yarn store! That lornas lace is beautiful.
    Im truly sorry to hear that your having a problem like I am, not sure if you want to talk about it on here but if you'd like to chat my email is karzyjj@hotmail.com, hugs to you, I know its so hard and I hope you don't have to wait to long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely a wonderful store. It's too bad you don't have one close enough to you. I hope you have one open near you soon.

      I'll definitely be emailing you. It will be nice to talk with someone who is going through a similar situation! Thank you!

      Delete
  9. A shop like that deserves to do well. Last time I went to our local yarn shop, the woman carried on putting wool away on shelves and answered my question without even looking at me. I felt like an inconvenience instead of a potential customer.

    That purple looks lovely and squidgey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's often the feeling I've had when I went to the lys (which is why I won't go there anymore). This shop is definitely worth the drive. It's nice to be remembered, but it's also nice to have friendly, and willing, people help you out.

      Oh yes.. the purple is definitely squidgey!

      Delete
  10. Um, it's always worth the trip to the yarn store, no matter how far. I'm thinking next time I'm in a yarn shop, I'll make sure they have WiFi so I can log onto Ravelry so I know what I'm buying each skein for..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think so, too, but I always feel bad when I've wanted to go because my hubby offers to drive (he's a good hubby!). I'm looking forward to taking my Mom when she's here in May.

    It's funny.. this yarn store DOES have wifi available for their clients for that exact reason!

    ReplyDelete