Sunday, March 11, 2012

Back into the swing of things

Let me tell you.. if given the chance, I would prefer not to travel home via New York City and Penn Station. I love Union Station (D.C.) and I feel rather spoiled by the ease of moving through there. My friend, Chris, warned me via text message as I headed from Wilmington to New York City not to talk to anyone, to keep my eye on my bags the entire time, and to get an attitude with anyone who got one with me (he grew up in Queens).

All was well when I got off the train in the extremely crowded, hot station. I picked up more water (and a souvenir for Chase), then grabbed a quick bite to eat while I waited for my next train to come up on the board so I could figure out where my gate was. I patiently waited to enter a holding pen seating area while a fellow passenger yelled at an Amtrak employee for not knowing where his train was going to depart from (it was still too early for it be up on the magical big board). As the line grew of passengers waiting to enter the seating area, I gave up and tried to squeeze past him at the same time he decided to step back from the counter in a flurry or cursing. He bellowed at me and the woman who was behind me for intentionally trying to trip him (that's me.. out to trip complete strangers in the train station) and then called me a name as he turned his ranting and raving back to the Amtrak employee. At this point I had been polite and courteous through all of this and this guy hit the wrong nerve. I fired back at him (and I didn't swear once!) letting him know that he was impatient, ungrateful, and that next time he thought I was trying to intentionally hurt him, I would stomp on his overpriced knock off shoes. *clears her throat* Okay, not my proudest moment, but I really don't like to be insulted. Of course I texted Chris to let him know that NYC was rubbing off on me in a bad way (he told me I had done a good job).

My faith in humanity had returned, thankfully, by the time I got on the train and a young man helped me get my bag in the compartment above my seat. The rest of the trip was pretty tame. We stopped in Albany to pick up the front half of our train. A young lady spent a good portion of the first five hours of the trip either screaming in a different language on her cell phone or singing. I slept, I read, I knitted. And when the train pulled in to the Toledo station, I couldn't get off fast enough and rush to Steve who was patiently waiting for me.

On our way home, we stopped at his parents so I could squeeze Chase (gosh I missed my little guy) who had been staying with Steve's parents for a couple of nights. Chase went off to school, and Steve and I went for Bomber food before going home to sleep (I love my bed!).

Friday began my list making (I love making lists almost as much as I love being home). The boys managed to keep the house pretty clean, eat most of the food I had stocked up before I left, and kept the pets alive. Menus were planned. Errands were run.

Steve had this weekend off from work so we treated Chase to a showing of The Lorax (a cute movie) between loads of laundry and cooking/baking. Today, Chase and I have been busy working Scout stuff.

I'm looking forward to Monday. A fresh start to a new week. I've had my days to recover from my traveling and am now ready to meet the new week head on.

I do miss my playmate, though!
 

12 comments:

  1. oh- that made me laugh out loud! You are too funny - glad to hear you survived your trip home.

    Blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally exhausted just reading about your trip--and sort of freakedout. I don't do well with confrontations. More power to you. Home never looked better, did it???????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually try to go with the flow, but this guy had it coming to him.

      Home was so perfect!

      Delete
  3. that sounds a bit scary emily, i'm glad you stood up for yourself though and nothing else happened. i do love penn station although it is very overwhelming, and maybe has more to do with travelers and less about new yorkers.
    glad you arrived home safe and sound and your boys kept the home fires burning. i love coming home too.
    have a wonderful week ahead, lori xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penn Station as a whole was rather nice, just very congested (I cannot imagine going through there during the holidays!).

      Delete
  4. Good for you in standing up for yourself [and not swearing while doing it]. I have never been to NY, but DC I know and love!
    And now I find that not only are you left handed, you are a list lover too! See, I knew we made great friends; we are so much alike!
    I know you are soaking in all the missed love from your guy's and I am so glad you are home safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love lists! Yep, we are definitely cut from a wonderful cloth, Tracey!

      It's been great being home, but gosh, it has been a busy week!

      Delete
  5. Good for you sticking up for yourself. It must have been some trigger. I'm glad you are back safely. There is nothing like falling into your own bed when you've been away for a while. I can see why you are missing your playmate. He is very sweet looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolfie and I were best of friends when I was visiting. She is just so much fun to play with! It was definitely a trigger, but I know that I was already tired from traveling and the weight of just getting home was heavy on my heart and mind.

      Delete
  6. Your pup looks like Frodo's brother! I would have been in tears on your trip. I do not like nasty people or confrontation. I'm glad you gave it to him and the people on the train showed manners....except for cell phone talker :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee.. every time I see Frodo I think of Wolfie. I keep telling my dad and stepmom she needs a sibling to play with.

      I usually just go with the flow, but if I am pushed too much (or if Chase is with me), I will stand my ground. Steve keeps telling me that he is glad he wasn't there because he would be afraid he'd have to have pulled me away before I was arrested! LOL (I really wasn't that bad!).

      The talker on the train was a great source of entertainment. :) I had someone like her sit behind me on my way to D.C. and was just shocked how open people can be on public phone conversations!

      Delete