Friday, March 30, 2012

Green Clutch of Inspiration Tutorial

As I mentioned in my Yarn Along post this week, I have been casually (you know.. a paragraph here and there) reading A Knitter's Home Companion over the past week. With most magazines and pattern books I pick up, I always flip through and look at the "goodies" (patterns/recipes) first then go back and read the stories. I love the recipes and patterns in this book!

Being in the need for an easily portable project, and something I could quickly work up while I also work on my shawl, I drooled when I saw the pattern for the Clutch of Inspiration.

After I made the first one, I thought it was missing something. I decided that the clutch needed lining, just in case something was put in it and might slip out (like a darning needle). Off to Jo-Ann's I went (with Steve tow) to find a neat print that worked well with the green I was using (Quince & Co. in Snap Pea). With a fat quarter in hand, matching thread, and cute buttons, home I went.

I started another clutch to take with me to knitting group last night and finished it there (including the lining). The only change I made to the original pattern was that I made the button holes a smidge bigger and only put three buttons on it instead of the original five. I decided I would post a little tutorial on my addition.


With the second clutch, I decided not to block like the instructions said. I wasn't happy that the triangle pattern disappeared a bit with the blocking so I decided to throw caution to the wind and skip that step. 

 
I really love the funky pattern on this material. I love hand stitching little projects. I'll drag out my sewing machine if I absolutely must, but even the sewing for this project is portable.



Once the lining is in, just stitch up the sides. It was a toss up on buttons, but I liked the contrast of these little flowers. A few little little tucks and trims here and there, and it's done!

So both clutches are in the mail and on their way to their new homes. :)

18 comments:

  1. Emily, that is just adorable! I think the lining and buttons are just the perfect touch and I know the owner's are going to love them.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey! My Mom got hers yesterday and was very excited with it. She really liked the buttons.

      Delete
  2. Very nice. I think you may need to make one for yourself now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too. I'm trying to decide on which yarn I want to use.

      Delete
  3. Too Cute!

    I have made a couple bags in the past, some lined and others not... the fabric you picked is perfect. I agree with the contrast of the buttons.

    blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made a bag before, but these were a nice little project.

      Delete
  4. You did such a lovely job on the clutch!! I love the fabric you chose to go with the yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. adorable emily! the material is so pretty and goes so well, the buttons too. i love that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori Ann! I'm enjoying the book a lot (I really need to finish).

      Delete
  6. Perfect!!!! Very very cute--and I think you found the perfect buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely! I love the cotton print you used for the lining

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! And that lining fabric is just perfect... the buttons, yes, nice contrast. I too love an easy knit and hand-stitch project. Wonderful choice! You forgot to mention what Steve came home with. ;)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hahaha! Steve didn't come home with anything this time. He was there to offer moral support while I decided on fabric. :)

      Delete
  9. Super cute! I think the lining was a wonderful addition!

    ReplyDelete