Friday, March 2, 2012

Here in Delaware!

I've been in Delaware since Wednesday afternoon. Dad and Fara called Friday night to see when I could hop a train and head east. Tuesday night Steve dropped me off at the train station and I made my way here.

I haven't really updated on how Dad has been doing, so here we go.

It was bad. As Fara has said, those first three days it was a minute by minute status update with his health. She said he had a nurse in his room the entire time. Then when they removed him from the medical induced  coma and he was slow to wake up, that led to concern of a possible stroke. They did a CT Scan and saw no sign of stroke. Dad did finally wake up on his own (they say that renal patients seem to take longer to wake up, but Dad was taking longer than they had hoped). He developed a rash to one of the antibiotics that formed a spotty red rash on his feet and ankles that looked just likes socks, but that went away rather quickly.

The respirator also cut his cheek, so he has a little scar that looks like the Joker (and we have been making Joker references since I arrived!).

Of course after being bed ridden for nine days, Dad's body was not wanting to work with him getting up and moving. However, he was able to shuffle a few steps, and was released to inpatient rehab. Dad hated rehab. He said that it would be great if you were a recovering stroke patient, etc. but for him, it was miserable. He needed to be supervised in the bathroom, if he took a shower he had to sit down for it, and when he wasn't in physical therapy, they assumed he'd be content staying in bed. Hence the reason why he checked himself out.

Now at home he is using a walker and steadily building up strength. While I am here, I am driving him to his infusion appointments (he's on IV antibiotics for the next few weeks) and anyplace else he'd like to go. He's planning on getting back to driving next week. He's doing better walking. Yesterday he walked into a store and back out without the walker, but realized that was pushing it. At the hospital I wheeled him around, then we went back home because he was tired. Today we ran more errands (and he used his walker) and no wheel chair at the hospital.

I'll be here in Delaware until Wednesday, then I'll be hopping the train back home.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to hear your dad is doing better, and I'm sure he is delighted to have you there with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! We're certainly having fun these days. It's been great.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness he is doing better and I bet your stress level has gone down considerably! Have a good visit with your dad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! We're having a lot of fun. It's definitely a relief that he is on the mend. I'm hoping the year gets better for him.

      Delete
  3. Emily, it's so nice to hear that you are getting to see your dad and spend time together; I know he must love you being there. It sounds like his recovery is moving along and that is the best news. Enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely, Tracey, it's great being here. I'm just so thankful I was able to come out and spend a week here helping him out.

      Delete
  4. Sending prayers for your dad's speedy recovery. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily - glad I got this update - prayers continuing for the family
    Blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete