Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

(I'm getting this post ready to go Tuesday night since I will be heading home come Wednesday morning.)

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things... 


(blasted low lighting!)
I am finally getting somewhere on the Atlantis socks! After visiting the yarn shop and getting help with the instructions, I also received the written instructions from the pattern designer (and yarn shop owner!). I looked over the written instructions and the chart, knitted, and still had a problem. A quick (and helpful!) phone call to the yarn and shop, and a little bit of discussion turned up the fact that a couple of stitches were reversed. So I ripped 25 rows out and started over again. I worked on the sock a bit while on the train and mostly while with Dad at infusion.  I am happily done with the first chart and now ready for the heel area. It's a good stopping point for now.

The purple is the yarn I picked up a few weeks ago. I found a pattern that was perfect for this yarn and did cast on before leaving for Delaware. I'm going to work on it while on the train home. I love this yarn -- so soft.

I'm also working on my shawl still, but admittedly my focus has been on that sock. I worked one round today and have packed it away until I get home. I think this will become my big focus when I get back home. I want to be able to wear it in April to barbershop competition.

And yes, I am reading! Last month Steve downloaded Hal Spacejock (it's still available for free for Nook owners!) and really enjoyed it, so he lent it to Chase to read, who loved it so much that he used a gift card and bought the rest of the series. Since both of my boys enjoyed it so much, and I didn't want to be left out, I also picked up a copy of it and am loving it. I've been giggling and having a good time reading it. I'm about halfway through and hope to pick it up (if I put my knitting down) on the way home.

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday. I'll be checking in again once I am settled back at home!

Happy knitting!

16 comments:

  1. I love the sock! And the purple is beautiful. Have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This sock is going to be great when it's finally done.

      Delete
  2. Your socks are pretty and I love when a book goes through the entire household! HP books did that here many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to have a series of books that we are all enjoying, too. HP went through my family (mom, bro, and myself) and I think it made the rounds in Steve's family, too.

      Delete
  3. What a challenge those socks are! It sounds like you are making some good progress on them. Enjoy your train ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite an interesting challenge!

      Delete
  4. you are a far better person than I - I would have given up a very long time ago on that sock (of course not good at knitting would probably have something to do with that!)
    Have a safe trip home -can't wait to see the purple after the train ride.
    Blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! These socks are a challenge and I love a challenge. If I didn't, they would have been frogged and forgotten!

      Delete
  5. Go, go, Emily! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am cheering you on Emily to complete your sock! After all the problems getting started and then ripping back, you are really going to enjoy them!
    I need to check out this book, I love/need some fun reading!
    Have a safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hal Spacejock is definitely an entertaining read. I think you might enjoy it!

      I hope to have the socks done by May, but I am making no promises.

      Delete
  7. Such determination. Go for it! Looking forward to seeing this one on a foot. Enjoy your train trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. safe travels!!!! socks are great travel projects!!!! yours in looking wonderful! way to go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think socks make a great travel project, too. This one just has so much going on with it!

      Delete