Thursday, April 19, 2012

needle and thREAD



needle and thREAD


I will go ahead and admit now, I haven't started any new reading other than the magazines I mentioned yesterday. I'm starting to feel a bit guilty about that. I think one reason I haven't picked up a book in the past two weeks and have stuck to magazines is that they're quick reads.So much has been going on over the past two weeks, that even my knitting is taking a hit. Okay, enough excuses, on with the sewing!



I'm a plus-sized gal. And I'm not talking "I'm a size ten" plus-sized gal. I see so many cute, little bloggers who post pictures of their simple little tops and I wish I had them myself! This past weekend I was determined after seeing a very nice, simple top over at SouleMama's that I fell in love with to find a suitable pattern for my size. I found a pattern and then found the material on sale(!) and made plans to sew everything that needed sewing (I have been putting a stack together) this week.

It just so happened that my car was in for repairs all day Tuesday so I was at home with a stack of projects to work on. I cut out the pattern before Chase went to school, then I set up everything in the dining room to start working.

I've never made a shirt before. I was just a tad bit nervous. All of our hand sewn pajama bottoms my Mom has made us (it's always been easier to send her the thread and the fabric).

I love this pattern. And I love my shirt! I think that the next one I will make a bit longer, but in the end, I love it so much.

The stack of denim? Those are Chase's pants that have holes in the knees. We're so close to spring weather and shorts all of the time, but a few pairs of jeans need patching. Done!

I didn't sew as much as I had planned, but that just means I have more projects for next week.

Happy sewing!

12 comments:

  1. Now I want to see a picture of the top Emily! I do wish I could sew and even saved up and bought a sewing machine. My Mom always sewed mine and my sister's clothes growing up and both my sister's sew beautifully. Me? It's not pretty and I still can not get my head around those patterns! Oh well, at least I can cook..oh, and knit now too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Tracey! You knit beautifully and your food goodies look so delicious. And you have many other wonderful talents.

      My Mom sewed a lot of clothes for me when I was little. I feel so bad for her -- her sewing machine (she's had it for over 20 years) is finally giving up. She told me she was hand winding bobbins now. Gosh I would let her have mine!

      Delete
  2. I am envious of anyone that sews! I know how to but it just isn't my creative outlet. How wonderful you love what you made, just think you could make even more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I want to make many more! It's not my favorite creative outlet, but I am willing to give it a go once in a while.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Tracey above...I would love to see the shirt. The fabric looks just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try and get pictures this weekend of the top completed (and possibly being modeled??).

      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Me too- I would love to see your top :) I am glad you liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely get pictures, then! :)

      Delete
  5. you are inspiring me emily! i love your enthusiasm for sewing and i'm so happy you love your new top. i did see soule mamas tunic and i have been wishing for one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda's top is so lovely and simple. I need to hem mine so I can post it!

      Delete
  6. I saw Amanda's top, too, and that---and a couple other bloggers are pulling out their sewing---and now you!!! I've just got that "hankerin' " to do some--(even bought another book...Simple Modern Sewing---most patterns have NO zippers or buttonholes!!!) I'm better at buying the supplies for sewing than actually sewing.

    What pattern did you end up using? Would love to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Steph! I'm staying far away from zippers and buttonholes and anything that involves gathering of any sort.

      Here is a link to the pattern that I used: http://butterick.mccall.com/b5722-products-15280.php?page_id=156

      Delete