Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring Break

Chase has been on Spring Break since last Friday afternoon. Up until the night before I was desperately trying to plan some sort of last minute get-away for our family, but it just didn't pan out. Steve was called out of town for work (and will be leaving again Easter Sunday for Evansville, Indiana for three days), and every idea I thought of, I wasn't completely in love with.

We considered going up to Mackinac Island for two days, but were unsure of just how "open" the island would be. April seems to be the only real down time and some businesses are open year-round, others are not. And how does a warmer than usual winter play into that? In the end we decided to wait until possibly later this year.

The bottom line is.. I crave the salty sea. I badly need a trip to Tybee Island again. I told Steve in December that we were going to go in 2012 (hopefully this fall!) no matter what. I want to dip my toes in the ocean. I want to watch Chase run on the beach again. I want to sit and sip coffee with my Mom on a porch and admire the Spanish moss. I could plan a trip to Mackinac, Chicago, or anywhere else, but unless the ocean was involved, I know my heart wouldn't be in it completely.

So instead we have been at home, and that is just fine, I think. Chase and I went to the movies on Saturday so he could get in his demi-god fix (he's obsessed with Greek Mythology). As a family this week, we have been bowling and launched model rockets.

There has been bread baking (habanero cheddar bread anyone?) and various knitting projects. There also has been coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.

I'm catching up on everyone's blogs today. It seems everyone has had wonderful things going on this past week.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend.

9 comments:

  1. isn't family together really what it's all about--and doing that at home is still OK. We rented a house on Tybee Island a couple years ago---it's really magical there. Worth the wait!!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tybee is definitely worth the wait for me.

      And spending time as a family really IS what it's about. We've had a great week. :)

      Delete
  2. I do hope dear Emily if you go to Tybee that I get a call so we can meet for lunch! I have been wanting to get away,but with all the livestock and farming this time of year is way too busy. I hope you have a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfect kicking back weekend, Emily. Have a good one xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, the habenero cheese bread sounds fantastic! And, the coffee... lots of coffee. My daughter and I have been wanting to have a vacation at Tybee Island. We have never been there... but pine to go! Have a wonderful Easter, Emily. blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a fun break with your family! Now I have to google Tybee........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes a better time can be had just spending time together at home. I hope your toes get to touch the ocean soon. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ah emily, i'm wishing with all my might your wish comes true. happy easter dear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't mind some salt air and toe dipping myself! Sounds like a grand plan. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete