Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things...



Last week Steve was working in Evansville, Indiana again and on his way home he stopped by Mom. He brought home not only a rocking chair, but a box of things she has been wanting to send up to me including her stash of knitting magazines. I have a couple of these already, but I still love going through them for ideas. Mom wants me to decide on a sweater for this year (which I had, but she doesn't love the pattern). There also was a magazine about tomatoes -- growing, eating, everything to do with them. Steve snatched it the other day and I can't find it! He was going to earmark the recipes he wanted to try and the last I heard was "We just need to try everything at least once!" and the magazine is gone.

I'm pleased to say that I divided the stitches on my Queen Anne's Cardi the other evening so now I can see where the sleeves will be. I really do like knitting sweaters top down! For the next 7 inches it's just going to be back and forth so it is still a very portable project. I took it to knitting group last week, but by Thursday I was completely run down and I only knitted one row and instead watched my mom-in-law knit (I'm getting pictures of her sweater tomorrow!) before we ended group early. I'll be taking my cardi with me this weekend when we're off to competition. I can definitely listen to barbershop and knit away the day!

I wanted to include my shawl, too, even though it is just looking like a blob of green. I'm back to where I was when I took it to Delaware last month and before a certain dog decided a yarn ball was a great ball to play with. I'm really liking the charting on this pattern. I hope to make others in the future.

I do have books to read. Stacks of books. I feel bad that I want to sit down with any of them, but I'm fearing distraction. Oh well. It will balance out, right?

Okay.. I'm off to see what everyone is working on and reading this week!

Happy Wednesday!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Emily - what a lovely car load from your Mum - hope she is doing well. I must try a top down sweater sometime - have never knitted one yet. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh she is doing quite well, thank you for asking! :)

      The first top down was the baby sweater and I really enjoyed it. There is that joy of getting to where you divide for the sleeves that is just so fun. :)

      xxoo

      Delete
  2. we will be sweater sisters! I love top down as well and I really don't want to knit any other kind. Love the color! And old mags are fun to flip through!! Say hi to mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to join the sister club too! :) How wonderful that your mom gave you a rocking chair, I sit in the one my mom gave me when I had my daughter, it's my favorite spot!
    I think your Steve and my Mike would get along very well, they could sit and talk about all things tomato!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must join the sisterhood Tracey! This rocking chair Mom rocked my brother, myself, and Chase in. He has wanted it for ages (in fact when we were going back and forth last fall for her treatment and appointments, he kept trying to figure out how to fit it in my car).

      Oh Steve would love to sit with your Mike and talk tomato. Steve is trying to convince me that we need two beds of tomatoes this year!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful special delivery from your mom!
    A sweater for me is on my list of things to knit (soon-ish) and I'm thinking top down is the way to go :) I can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love seeing what goodie my Mom has been hanging on to share with me. She always has the neatest stuff!

      I hope you get to knit a sweater for yourself soon!

      Delete
  5. Love the color of your sweater, Emily!! And, it sounds like there is lots of good stuff in store from those magazines! Both knitting and eating! blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tanna I am looking forward to fresh tomatoes off the vine this summer!

      Delete
  6. I usually love top-down but the sweater I'm currently working on is worked from bottom up. I don't have the brainpower lately to figure how to do it top-down.

    Have fun at the competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of my problem with the three sweaters I have knitted bottom up is the sleeves are knitted separately and then attached. I know that is easily remedied, but I'm still shy when it comes to altering a knitting pattern to fit my convenience!

      Delete
  7. i've finally got the tea leaves on my needles emily, it's getting little attention right now though since i've started the pockets. thank you so much to you and chase for the pocket love!! i'm very excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those pockets, Lori Ann! I showed them at knitting group tonight and everyone thinks they're cutest. Chase has been enjoying helping out.

      Delete