Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mother's Day Weekend at WWOW

(even in the woods, I think of the ocean!)

This past weekend, I joined Dale and Sarah for our first WWOW experience. WWOW stands for Wild Women of Washtenaw. This is an event held at the sportsmen's club for women only. For thirty-six hours, women are instructed in courses of their choice varying from rifle shooting, shotgun skeet shooting, outdoor photography, dutch oven cooking just to name a few. This was the fourteenth year the club hosted this event. There were 145 women present, more than half of them first time participants (go us!).

The instructors (members of the club itself) volunteered not only their talent and time, but also all equipment that was used. We had the opportunity to camp out on the grounds Friday night, and being the wild women that we were, we opted to do so.

Friday night there was beef roasted outdoors for dinner, a class on how to make your own make-up, and knife/axe throwing. There was also a bonfire in the field were the tents were (there were about 15 tents set up) where instructors and participants mingled well into the night.

I admit that I am not as rugged as I had hoped to be. Shortly before 2am Saturday morning, I came home to sleep in my nice warm, comfy bed. The temperature had dropped down to 46 and despite a sleeping bag and quilt, I was freezing. My head was aching and I wanted to get a few hours of sleep in order for my classes on Saturday. I was back on site by 7am bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. I think next year I will definitely take an air mattress and an extra sleeping bag (and a hat..my wristers..).

The classes I signed up for were rifle shooting (200 yard range), shotgun skeet shooting, and beekeeping. After breakfast, we split up (Dale and Sarah had a compass/map course when I had rifle shooting) and went to our classes.

My use of guns of any sort is limited. And when I say limited, I mean I shot one of my Mom's shotguns back when I was probably thirteen just once. There were 14 ladies in my rifle course, most of us with very little to no experience. Being the only left-handed person in the group (geesh! why is this such a shock to people still?) I was lucky enough to be paired up with a very willing instructor. He had two different rifles for me to use: a Remington 700 and and Ruger. Oh they were delightful (as delightful as guns can be I suppose). My instructor was patient with my extreme nervousness and just as excited as I was as I shot out water balloons. When I missed a shot and I swore, he laughed and said I was becoming a great huntress. Out of twenty shots, I managed to hit my target 17 times.

After the first class, we all met back at the club house for lunch. Dale and Sarah made it back from their class and we socialized with others. The three of us had the next class together, which was quite the entertaining experience.

Skeet shooting is not my thing. Flying clay pigeons? No thanks. I like my target relatively stationary, thank you very much. Out of my five shots, I grazed a pigeon on the second shot, and not again. Dale had the opportunity to shoot on an extra round. I should mention that the skeet range was next to the range that handled musket and muzzle loading (and a cannon?! what!) shooting. The ground rumbled and the air boomed the whole time. At one point I quipped to Sarah that I felt the South was trying to rise and we best grab our weapons to save our land.

Exhausted, we headed back to the clubhouse for our last classes. Sarah was taking basic archery, and Dale and I had beekeeping. The beekeeping instructor was amazing. She had so much great information to share and the last remaining questions I had about keeping a hive were answered. She offered to be a bee mentor for me, and I think I will be taking her up on that offer. Steve and I have wanted to keep bees for two years now, but within the city limits they are extremely finicky. Now that I have all the right information, it's time to look into boxes and getting on a swarm call list. It will probably be next spring when it all becomes official.

After the last class, and with the tent packed up, we hugged and said our goodbyes. We're already talking about what classes we want to take next year. Mom was disappointed that she wasn't here long enough this year to join us. Next year I am hoping that not only Mom can go, but Steve's Mom, too. I think we would all have a great time!

This was an absolutely amazing experience.

8 comments:

  1. I want to come too!!! I have an air mattress ;)
    I shoot an 308 and can shot better than my boys!
    My husband taught me and yes, I am still amazed that people are shocked there are left handers in the world. You would think we had two heads or something!
    We use to have outdoor women weekends here,but things kind of fizzled out a few years ago.
    I am glad you had a great time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Tracey! The more the merrier!

      The 308 rifle is a really nice rifle! Do you and your boys go hunting?

      Delete
    2. All my guys are hunters, fishermen, crabbers, shrimpers..you get the picture. We process all of our own meat and after seeing what it cost at the market I am very thankful.
      Most people laugh when they come here and see what I cook....I'm a vegetarian!

      Delete
    3. Oh Tracey! I would love to spend at least a week at your home!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like an amazing experience--I've never shot a gun in my life. I hear the report (that's what it's called when it backfires a little when you shoot, right?) can really jar you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was wonderful Kristine! You'd have enjoyed it. So many different women were there. It was fun to people watch.

      The recoil really wasn't bad at all. It's funny because they listed on their class sheets about the recoil and how powerful it might be.

      Delete
  3. WHAT FUN!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my! I want to come!!!!! next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It was quite the blast.

      Delete