Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things...

This week we will start with what Mom has been up to.





 On the train ride here, Mom worked on two pairs of wristers and a pair of socks for Chase. When she arrived, she quickly finished up Chase's Christmas sweater for this year (she had shipped it here in pieces to put together while she was visiting). Chase had picked out buttons from the yarn shop a couple of months ago and Mom ordered them when we were there. As soon as they are in, I'll have to share.

Chase wanted a cardigan sweater this year and it had to have pockets. I can't wait to see it on him this year!

Before Mom got here, I picked up a copy of My Name is Mary Sutter after seeing Heather post about it.  It sounded like my type of book, and so far, I am not disappointed. I handed it over to Mom as soon as she had settled in so she could read it while she was here. Now that she is done (and she absolutely loved it!) the book is back in my possession.

On the needles, Mom has started work on a Who? hat using yarn she picked up at the local spot over the weekend. It will be a nice project for her journey home.







So, yes, I am still reading Mary Sutter and loving it. :) And yes, I am still working on my shawl, but I am finally on the first edging chart! I was hoping to be done by today, but school is back in session and I am getting myself into the groove. Maybe by next week. The blue yarn should have been in Mom's picture, but it was forgotten until I was setting up my things. The yarn is for my Christmas sweater that Mom is working on.

For those that are interested in joining the Summer Knitting Gift Event, I have decided to tweak the original idea just a smidge: 

1) We will knit either a cowl, a shawl, or a scarf with the yarn we are given. It can be any pattern of the knitter's choice.

2) Each participant will supply their own yarn for their own gift. If you have 3 skeins of purple and no idea what to do with it, toss it in! The more yarn you have to put in, the more options your knitter will have.

3) Those participating can send their yarn to me. Once all the yarn has been received, I'll have Chase draw names (he wants to participate someway) so everyone gets a stash of yarn to work with. I'll then send out the yarn to the new recipients including the addresses of who the gift will go to. 

4) I figure we'll start this June first as a kick-off to summer and to ease us into fall. That means you can work on your project from June through the end of October. If more time is needed, I think we could adjust it.

5) This is open to EVERYONE (international is a-okay!). Mom is going to participate, too. If you have an allergy to a specific yarn, make sure you make a note of it when you send your yarn to me (so if you have an allergy to wool, I'll make sure you're paired with someone who provides a non-wool fiber).

6) No posting pictures of your projects until September. That way it can stay a surprise as to who is knitting with YOUR yarn!


7) Interested? Email me at emily.zimmerman @ gmail.com and let me know. I'll start working on a list of those that would like to take part and send out an email as we get closer to the end of May.


Happy Knitting!

5 comments:

  1. Wow,so many beautiful knits, I especially love Chase's sweater. I am so impressed with how much knitting has been accomplished, I really must learn to knit a little faster.
    I saw that book on Heather's blog and put it in my cart, now to just order it. It seems we have the same reading taste.
    Have a super day today and I am looking forward to this fall@

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you and your mom liked the book. I always wonder when I recommend what others think. You both are crazy knitters. A holiday sweater completed in May! I am so impressed with you two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to see you and your mom posting on yarn along. Don't you get giddy when you are near the end of a shawl? I sure do! Lovely knits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many beautiful knits! I love Chase's sweater. And I can't wait to see your finished shawl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness that sweater looks beautiful!!! And an almost finished shawl---way to go! Must put that book on my to-read list----too many people have been talking about it and loving it!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete