Saturday, June 23, 2012

Summer Days

For the past two weeks on Mondays we have gotten some nice little fits of rain. It's almost becoming a tradition. And we're talking significant rain. Enough that the garden doesn't have to be watered. And perhaps, a nap can be stolen with any willing feline for an hour.

And then it gets warm again. Like pretty much everyone else, this past week we dealt with the horrible heat wave. The weather has confused people and plants.

Rose of Sharon

The Rose of Sharon is starting to bloom. This usually doesn't happen until August at the earliest. I was completely shocked yesterday morning to discover this little bud opened.

The Garden 2012


The garden enjoys the bursts of rain (oh and of course the sprinkler). I've been battling squirrels this year. They decided to uproot two cabbage plants last week. I've peppered the garden. Everything I started indoors never made it outdoors. But everything I waited to start as seed in the ground is doing fantastic (look at the pumpkin plants!). I have 4 or 5 types of tomatoes this year. I picked up the plants from one of my favorite vendors at the farmer's market. So far they're all doing really well. The empty box is for Chase to plant his seeds from Ms. Tracey (he has been waiting for the weather to be tolerable).

I thought I had made a post and set it to publish a week ago, but I see that it didn't happen. I received my surprise package of goodies from Jacinta in Australia (thank you again Tracey for hosting the swap!). Everything is wonderful. Chase has enjoyed studying the map, the post cards, and sniffing the soap. I have plans for the yarn (!!). Thank you for everything, Jacinta!

Goodies from Australia.

There also has been trips to E. Lansing for Steve, with me and Chase tagging along in the afternoons. Root beer floats from the MSU Dairy Store and a trip to the yarn store?? Yes please! Mom is still waiting on the buttons for Chase's sweater to come in, so I don't mind stopping by the shop to see what the status is, or feeling the yarn, looking over the buttons myself..

Does yarn make me happy? Oh yes, yes it does!

Happy Fuzzy Yarn is new to the shop AND they are local to me! I only bought one skein of it because I just don't know what I will do with it right now. It feels so good and I love the colors (reminds me of fall). Oh and the buttons are a steampunk theme. Mom really liked them when she was here in May, and since they were still plenty, I brought home half a dozen. Again, not sure what they will be used for, but they're there when needed!


And between all of the studying (final exam is on Thursday for one of my classes!), the running around, the excessive heat, the iced coffees (mm.. ), we are lucky to see a little bit of natural beauty on the way home from Scouts.


xoxo

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful flower Emily. Everything here has been coming in early too which continues to throw me off.
    I am so glad you had fun doing the swap, thank you.
    Wow, that yarn is so lovely, too bad I can't touch it, it looks so soft. I can't wait to see what you turn it into.
    May many rainbows brighten your days and you have a great weekend. And please enjoy a root beer float for me, I do miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey -- Chase said his float today was especially for you!

      I have to keep reminding myself that July is only a week away, but it seems so funny to see some things blooming early, while others are right on time. There doesn't seem to be any other blooms ready on the Rose of Sharon so this one may just be early.

      Delete
  2. Rain....we need some so bad I hope you can send some our way. I love the color of your yarn so pretty!!

    Our Rose of Sharon is also blooming but I think ours does bloom around this time? Yours is a pretty pink ours is white....I do have a few plants that did bloom early and now they are beginning to take on their fall colors...so weird?

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend....and have time for lots of knitting.

    ~~Renee

    A Knitters Notebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Renee! I would send any rain if we were getting any on a regular basis. So many yards around here are dry, dry, dry! Ugh.

      I worry for plants that are blooming early and changing for fall. I hope that the real fall isn't a shock (or winter for that matter).

      I hope you have had a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  3. You may just have to show me that yarn shop when I come to the MI area after our time here in DC. Hopefully it won't be quite as warm. This week has been crazy! (My dad who grew up in Ohio always talks about the Rose of Sharon plants)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to show you the yarn shop! I could stay there all day, I swear.

      My dad said the weather in DE was horrible on Friday. He really wants to plan a trip into D.C. this summer but he said he can't do it if it is going to be this hot this year. Hopefully things will even out!

      I had never seen a Rose of Sharon before moving here. Lots of people sell them on their farms. Ours is just starting to split(?). The more the merrier!

      Delete
  4. Love your yarn!!! And boy a rainbow-I love it when I see them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always look for rainbows, but this is the first one I have seen in ages!

      Delete