Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things...


I honestly thought I was going to be done with the socks this past week. I am decreasing for the toe on of them, so that's good, right? The thing is, I got distracted last Wednesday. When we were making trip #2 (for the week) up to E. Lansing, I decided to take along my beloved yak yarn and start working on the Who? hat. I needed a different project to counteract using the tiny needles for the socks. This was an excellent hat project! And the yarn.. yes.. it is a dream. The buttons I have on it so far came from my Mom-in-law's stash. I decided I want eyes for all the owls and am working on mixing and matching.

I did a smidge bit of reading (that was not school related), too. While at the yarn shop (trip #2), Chase pulled his attention away from the spinning wheels long enough to eyeball the book Little Felted Animals. He began to flip through it, then go through the yarn shop confirming all the needed tools were available right.in.that.shop. When we made trip #3 to E. Lansing Sunday, I decided to buy the book and read up on it myself. I had dreams Wednesday night of Chase making felted toys and I took that as a sign it was something we could at least read up on and possibly try together.

Trip #3 to E. Lansing. Yes, well, when we were up there on Wednesday I had mentioned to the shop girl about Heather's mystery shawl KAL and how I always seem to miss out. She let me know that Stephen West was hosting a Mystery KAL and that there was still time to sign up. I thought about it. And thought more about it. When the opportunity presented itself to visit the yarn shop for potential yarn, it was set!







I decided to go with an old favorite (I used this for my Sassafras shawl), and picked up more Berroco ultra alpaca fine yarn in Turquoise and Oceanic. I'm looking forward to this next project.

Okay.. I'm off to get ready for my class. Happy Wednesday everyone!



18 comments:

  1. Love the blues! And that hat is too cute. Don't you love getting kids involved with knitting? My little ones absolutely love getting to knit alongside me. Maybe we'll have to check out that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love getting kids involved in knitting or any fiber craft. Chase is kind of off knitting right now, but I thought the felting might be fun for him.

      I'm definitely back in a blues mood! :D

      Delete
  2. I think you and Chase making felted animals together would be an great summer project.
    Emily, I am just drooling over your mystery yarn colors! Oh my goodness, they are so pretty.
    Your yarn store sounds really nice. My LYS is very tiny and sadly, no spinning wheels {I asked}. I guess that's what I can expect for living in the deep south. Now I just need to get my homebody self to take a road trip to scout out fiber and wheels! :)
    I hope school goes well today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should come on a road trip up here, Tracey, and we can go to the yarn shop together!

      I've dreamed of little felted animal projects that involve Chase. I think the next time we're up in Lansing, I'll be picking up some goodies so he can start.

      Delete
  3. oh I love the yarn colors you picked.....beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the animals you guys make! That will be a great project. And those blues are beautiful. Have fun with the KAL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can come up with!

      Delete
  5. Great colors and I love your projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo Hoo! I am going to do the Stephen West one too. I accidentally stumbled upon it and am very excited. I have never knit one of his patterns. I am glad to have a friend to do it with. Love the Owlies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you're doing it, too! Hooray!!!

      Delete
  7. I love the berroco yarn good choice! Let me know what you think of the mystery kal! Love your knits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. :) I love Berroco yarn so much. I can't wait to see how this KAL goes. :)

      Delete
  8. A mystery KAL! How exciting! I wish I had more time to do that, but the two projects I have going are going to take up all my time. :-( Maybe some other time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The project came along at a good time. Now I just need to find something to fill the in between time until next week.

      Delete
  9. what a great activity for you and chase to do together, i can't wait to see what you make! i'm hearing so much about kal's and mystery ones too, it sounds like you've chosen a great one to join emily, have fun! beautiful yarn.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I'm looking forward to little critters. :)

      Delete