Sunday, July 15, 2012

Something new...


Steve and Chase have been talking for quite a while about going kayaking. After seeing pictures of Lori's husband on her blog (and Chase getting very excited at all of the potential fun), I did some serious research. I knew where two liveries are on the Huron River, but it was just nailing down a good time to go. It just so happens that today was Huron River Day!

So this afternoon we headed toward the river (along with everyone else, apparently). I opted not to go kayaking or canoeing (I have this fat girl in a small boat fear), but happily sent them out into the water.





They had a great time! They went under the overpass and disappeared behind the fishing island for quite a while. After their hour on the water, Chase was wanting to again. He spoke with the wonderful ladies with Urban Wave who really tried to convince him to try SUP. He says 'not yet.. but soon!'.

I think we're going to go back again in the next few weeks and try one of the river tours. After more research on my part, I think I can safely go in the water and sink to the bottom ;-) The boys certainly are ready to go!

12 comments:

  1. oh emily!! fantastic! i love it. hi chase! you look like a natural in the kayak. and standup paddleboarding is absoultly easy and fun, try it next, you will love it.

    emily i've made a few posts in the past on sup, i'll find them and send you the links, one is really fun, i think chase would love.

    you are the best mom. wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! Chase and I were looking over your page this week so he could see others who kayak and SUP. He says he really wants to try, but all of the river grass was bothering him when he was kayaking and he's afraid of getting caught and falling in the river.

      But kayaking.. yes.. he wants to go again. We're going to try and do the river tour the next time we all have free time. He is desperate to go back!

      Delete
  2. oops, steve looks great too! naturals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! It was so funny because Chase just slipped into the kayak with no problem, but Steve took his time. He was a bit nervous of flipping Chase out.

      Delete
  3. Such fun Emily! I have never been kayaking either, but one of my son's loves to go in the rivers here.
    Looks like Chase is having a great summer.
    How are your Mom, I have been thinking about her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did look like fun! I want to go back when it's not so hot (it was 95 when we were there..ick) and try myself.

      Chase is definitely having an interesting and fun summer!

      Mom is doing great! Thank you for thinking of her.

      Delete
  4. What a fun time. I will be emailing you when our time in MI comes. Dave received a kayak for xmas, and although we left it has been hankering to get out there. I know my kiddos want to go too. (I also have that bigger girl in small craft fear. I actually took a rowing class a few years ago at hour. The only awkward part was when I had to ask for a bigger shell because the one she gave me only went up to 150lbs. Ooops) I am glad you are considering going next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes.. if you come to MI, you must let me know! We can show you everything!

      I think that the next time we go back, I am going to confirm the weight limits on their kayaks specifically. But hey, I'm willing to canoe, too, if needed :D

      Delete
  5. I would be right with you on the shore since I am not an adventurous spirit, we could knit together :) Chase looks like he is having the time of his life!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took my knitting with me, but never touched it. I had plans to sit in the cafe, sipping iced tea, happily knitting while the boys were kayaking. Not so much. It was just way too busy on that particular day.

      Chase loved it. He wants to go back soon.

      Delete
  6. what a fun weekend!!! I've kayaked exactly once---did you know your bum can "fall asleep"??????

    ReplyDelete