Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things...






I'm a bit light on the reading again this week. Focusing on finishing up my accounting class for the semester and working on final projects that come with that. I'll be relieved when this class is over with!

I have been reading and re-reading the pattern for my little lace knit project over and over, however. When I picked up the fall edition of Knitting Traditions 2011 last year, the Christening gown pattern caught my eye immediately. I picked out the yarn for this pattern in May when Mom was here (I'm using Fyberspates cob web weight yarn for this) and decided to cast on while waiting for the 13th.

I think this is the finest weight yarn I have ever used before which is why I didn't want to go into too much detail last week. If the project was deemed to be TOO MUCH! then I would just frog it until a later date. So far, however, so good. I have the top and the sleeves done. I'm at a good place to stop so I can focus on my other project. The skirt should be fun, along with the fancy trim for the neck and cuffs. I like how open-ended this project is. Once done, it will be packed away with the other little things that are being knitted for fun.

Of course Friday was the first day of the Mystery KAL! The night before I was skimming over the discussion boards and my goodness.. some women were chomping at the bit to get started. Wow. I think Clue #1 is looking pretty good so far! It's kind of slow going because this is in my bag for when I go out, and I didn't take it out much over the weekend. Now that I am at a comfortable stopping place with the Christening Gown, I am going to work on the shawl more at home, too. This part of the pattern is easy enough that I have it down pat and can leave the pattern at home.

Okay! Off to browse before Chase and I head out to run errands. Happy Wednesday!


9 comments:

  1. I have some Fyberspate in the stash that is "cobweb" weight. (YIKES!) I've been too scared to try it out thus far, but I do have it earmarked for a shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found the label and that's what this is -- "cobweb" weight! It's extremely intimidating to knit with this yarn! I am so afraid to take it out of the house or move it from my spot on the couch. It's beautiful, of course, now that it is working up into something, but it is definitely time consuming to knit with (I'm afraid of dropping stitches, tangling yarn..)

      I have a pattern that uses over 2000 yards of this yarn (a shawl pattern), no thanks! I think I'd go blind!

      Delete
  2. That gown will be gorgeous, Emily. I had to laugh when I saw your MKAL. I think we have very similar colors. Can you believe how many posts there are for this KAL. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I just need a little model for it ;)

      Oh I know! I saw your colors and I thought we were on the same mind set when choosing! Awesome!!!

      This KAL is definitely crazy. I went back Friday afternoon to just confirm what I was working looked like others and I haven't been back since. It's almost scary! Now I understand the obsession at seeing a movie at midnight release. Yeesh!

      Delete
  3. I hope you are enjoying your class Emily. When are you done with school?
    It sounds like your KAL is a lot of fun. I have never done a KAL, but maybe soon. I checked out the link and it seems very popular. The yarn you are using is so very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This semester ends August 1st. I'm just three chapters and one project away from being done. I'm actually going to try and get that stuff done this week so I can be finished until September. Whew.

      I really like the colors, too. I already decided I'm going to give this to Mom, and know I she'll love it. :)

      Delete
  4. I just finished a knit in cobweb weight and I liked it way more than I thought I would. I think the trick is to get a few inches in so there is something to hold on to. Looks fantastic! Good luck with your class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Once you get a few rows on, it works up.. but just straight stitching? Oh.. it seems to take forever!

      Delete
  5. aw emily, for your mom? i love that so much, have fun sweetie and good luck in school.

    ReplyDelete