Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things...




Well, I am chugging along with my MKAL shawl these days. This may not be the greatest picture, but unless I actually pin it down, it wants to curl up. For the most part I am enjoying this project. Clue #2 involves three balls of yarn going at once which is always fun. I just don't care much for breaking yarn and weaving in.

After seeing Karen post about The Language of Flowers last week, I knew I had to pick up a copy of this book. I'm still too early in it to give a detailed opinion, but as of right now, I'm really enjoying it.

Now for a question for all of you knitters.. How and what do you use to clean wool sweaters?

Last year my boyfriend sweater was stored in a plastic tote (which I assumed was sealed) and was apparently exposed to chemicals (perhaps when my hubby fumigated the house) and now it has a chemical smell to it. I knew this at Christmas time and all through the winter, but I used Febreeze on it and went about my way. It's been sitting out all year in my room and it still smells heavily like chemicals.

HELP!

My thought was to wash it in wool wash by hand and lay it on a sheet in the sun to air dry. Mom thought maybe putting it in another plastic tote with baking soda for a week or so to see if that absorbs the odor.

Mom knitted this sweater for me using wool from Beaverslide. Her sweater of the same yarn was stored under mine, but it smells just fine.

I don't want to take it to be professionally cleaned. I love this sweater too much to just hand it over to someone.

Thanks, everyone! Happy knitting!


16 comments:

  1. That shawl looks very interesting and I like your colour choice!

    I always wash my woollen things either by hand or in the washing machine on a special wool program. I would definitely try washing the sweater. After drying maybe it would also help to hang it outside as long as possible so that fresh air can take care of the chemical smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it definitely had to be washed! I figured that if I could get a good, sunny day to let it dry outside it would be the cure. Of course the day that was "perfect" ended up with pop up showers!

      Delete
  2. I thought this clue took a bit more time. All that purling with fingering weight. Yikes! I would try hanging or setting the sweater in a safe spot outside first. Then perhaps a good soak and air drying again outside. I hope you get loads of ideas to help with the chemical smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That's what I told my Mom..so much purling. But I think my purls are getting nice and tight now, so maybe it was good practice!

      Delete
  3. I'm so curious about the mystery knit along! Can't wait to see how it turns out.
    I really hope you get that smell out of your sweater and wish I had some suggestions for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an interesting project!

      Delete
  4. I agree about washing (by some means) and drying outside. Things always seem to smell better when dried outside! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have fallen in love with Soak and now use it on all my knits, then I would lay it outside in the shade, as I think direct sunlight might harm the fiber [not really sure on that, just what I feel]. Maybe before using Soak you could first give it a long bath in vinegar/water mixture to help with the chemical smell. I am sure you will get much better and more experienced ideas, these are just the ones I would do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up ordering a bottle of Soak to wash my sweater and it worked wonderfully! It spent half a day drying outside, and has finished in the spare room. It smells awesome now!

      Delete
  6. I like the Soak/dry in the sun idea.

    As far as the book goes, I LOVED that book when I got an Advance Reader's Edition of it last summer. It made me cry, but in a good way. I think you're going to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I loved the book! It was just what I wanted/needed at the time.

      Delete
  7. to wash I like using any wool wash. Have you tried some coffee beans and the sweater in a bag? Maybe the coffee beans will absorb the smell??? At least the sweater would smell different (ha ha). Good luck and your shawl is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee.. I considered asking my barista buds if I could stash my sweater in their storage area at the coffee house for a while, but decided they would think I was a bit nuts. I seriously considered stashing it in my own bean bin at home, but in the end I don't think it would have helped it.

      Delete
  8. I used to use Eucalan--and still have some kicking around, but LOVE Soak (like Tracey); I'd try hand washing and maybe letting it dry outside. (I'm sure you know to never ever ever use Woollite, right????) good luck.. (I liked the coffee bean suggestion---have never heard that one before!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Soak and let it air dry some outside and all is well in my world again! Thanks!

      Delete