Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things..





I finished clue #3 on the MKAL. I have to say I enjoyed this clue quite a bit and the trim is pretty neat to look at. I am still up in the air about this shawl as a whole, so I decided to put it to bed for a week before finishing it. I wanted to see others finish theirs first, too, so I knew what to expect in the end. I think it will still work as a gift for Mom.

I went over my "in progress" projects and my project "to-do" list to figure out what I wanted to start working on. I also compared those lists to our trip in October and what I can and cannot take with me for that (geesh..!). As I was settling in to start work on a project, Steve came home and said he business in E. Lansing and wanted to know if Chase and I wanted to go along for root beer floats and a drive-by of the yarn shop (as if he needed to ask!). So instead of starting a project, I took a few skeins of yarn to roll in the car.

Sadly, the buttons my Mom ordered back in May are still not in. And the pattern I have seen a glimpse of and have been leaving messages for the shop owner about have gone unanswered. Dejected, I asked the girl in the shop if she could show me something unique in their yarns. As it happens, a new yarn had come in earlier in the week and it fit the bill perfectly.

That green skein in my picture? Is part merino wool and part possum. That's right.. possum.

It is the softest yarn next to cashmere that I have ever felt. I had no idea what I would do with it, but I wanted at least one skein to play with.

Once home, I googled the yarn and it's quite an interesting story!

So what am I knitting now that I put the MKAL to bed for a while? I decided to cast on for my Laramie shawl. I'm hoping to use this project as a fill in for other projects this fall. I'm using Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine in Blueberry Mix for mine. So far this has been a very nice pattern of repeats.

EDIT: Thanks for all of suggestions on what to do with my poor smelly sweater. I ended up ordering a bottle of Soak and Saturday morning, Chase and I washed it in the sink. He really enjoyed the hand washing part and declared "IT SMELLS LIKE SHEEP AGAIN!" triumphantly after we let it sit and soak for a bit.

We hauled it outside to dry in the shade, but brought it in later in the day when we had some pop-up showers in the area. It has finished drying in our spare room and I am happy to say the bad smell is gone and my sweater now smells like a lightly perfumed sheep. Hooray!

Happy knitting and happy Wednesday!

14 comments:

  1. Yay for Soak the miracle worker!! I am excited to hear what you think of opossum yarn....don't forget to tell us! You have made beautiful progress on your shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am wanting to cast on some project with the yarn, just not sure what. I think that I want to start a large collection of hats to wear this fall/winter. Whatever I knit with this yarn, needs an outdoor theme! LOL

      Delete
  2. I think my LYS just got on some of the same opossum yarn too, I really must get to town now and see.
    I find it just mind blowing as to what yarn can be made out of don't you?
    I hope y'all enjoyed the floats and please tell Chase I'm counting on him to drink my share for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chase is always willing to drink his share of a float for you! :) He wants to know what you think of chai milkshakes now. That's his favorite weekly treat at the coffeehouse.

      I love the fact that pretty much anything can be made into a yarn!

      Delete
  3. I guess you can make yarn out of any animal fur...even possum! How funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine did a test knit with yarn that contained possum hair. Just as a heads up...the yarn is "hairy" for lack of a better word. You'll think that, somehow, your pet's fur got into your project. Oh no, my friend. It's the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Figures as much. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  5. I like the mystery shawl. The edging makes quite a differece! Can't wait to see what you make with your possum yarn... never thought I'd say that.
    I'm so glad you sweater is again sweet smelling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the edging, too. Still reminds me of a spacecraft, though!

      I wish I could wear my sweater now! I'm so happy it is clean.

      Delete
  6. " lightly perfumed sheep" :D lol you made me laugh really hard! :) I'm glad it worked and the smell is gone...and wow merino/possum yarn?! sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Glad I could entertain you. :)

      Delete
  7. Possum?!? that is crazy. I think your shawl is gorgeous. How the heck is that a stand-by project. It looks so intricate. So glad the soak worked well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a stand-by project because there is no set date it has to be done by. If I happen to be bored and need something to work on, it's there. LOL. Of course I say that now, because I am early into it and full of optimism.

      Delete