Saturday, September 8, 2012

Where has the time gone?

I think I took an unintentional break during August from the blogging world. I had great intentions to write regular updates, but as soon as that last class was done, I disconnected for a while. My "summer" was only three weeks before classes for the fall kicked in.

I'm going part time this fall. Things are slowing down now as I wrap up the list bits for this degree while working on classes (the next year is going to be heavy on bio/chem) before I transfer. One of my classes meets all day on Saturday. This also happens to be the class Steve and I are taking together. So far, this is an interesting experience taking a class with him. He does make an excellent lab partner.

The first week campus was open I worked as an information station greeter. The Student Activities department has four stations throughout campus stocked with maps, forms, and helpful people to guide visitors on campus. It was a lot of fun (I wish they would hire me in to the department!) and I met (and witnessed) many interesting people. That week of working just solidified the fact that I really, truly do miss working.

Everyone is doing well. Dad and my stepmom went to the beach for an overnight last week. This was the first time since Dad's surgery in May that he really ventured out past the house (and the hospital) for any period of time. His goal is to go six months without a health crisis, and then take it another six months at a time. They still have no idea what causes the infection that he's been getting, or where it starts or is hiding.

Mom is also doing really well. It's been a year since she was diagnosed with cancer. She had her mammogram this week and everything looks great. She has a check-up with her oncologists next week. When she is here in October for Chase's birthday, we're all going up to Mackinac Island to celebrate her health and Chase turning 11. It's not the ocean, but I think I will love it just as much.

As for Chase.. Chase is Chase. He went back to school on Tuesday. He's at a new school this year (they reconfigured the elementary schools in our district over the summer) and so far, he's loving it. One of his friends from the neighborhood is in his class, along with two from his class last year. His lady friend (the girl he has called every night through the summer) is not in his class, but they do see each other on the playground.

Chase has had a pretty great summer. He and Steve went to Scout camp for three days and absolutely loved the experience. They also slept on a submarine two weeks later. Chase was able to partake in a water robotics program while at the submarine that he thoroughly enjoyed. He also has been to a local archery range to practice. He and a friend are joining the JOAD program at the sportsman's club in October.

The garden is.. well.. it's there, but I am about finished with it. The tomatoes are slow to come in. We had three zucchini, some beans early on, and that is about it. This was just a really bad summer. I'm okay with it, though. I have been filling the fridge with goodies from the farmers' market all summer so at least I am supporting my local farms!

And now I look at the time and I see I should be wrapping this update up and getting myself ready for class (and waking the still sleeping members of my family). I'm going to try harder to provide more of an update each week. I may not post a lot, but I am around to read!

   
Fifth grade!
Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Emily,
    Thank you so much for the summer update.I have thought of you and your family often and prayed all was well.
    Love the photo of Chase, he is really growing. If you ever make it down this way all my guys shoot bows and would love to have Chase along!
    Have a great time at class.
    Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see and hear from you, I am so happy that your mom is doing well! And Chase, he is growing into a fine handsome young man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, no wonder you haven't had time to post much!!! What a busy life you are leading-----I've missed you and thought of you and your mom and dad alot. So glad to hear that life is treating them well. Oh, my---just look at Chase!!! He's growing like a weed (I sort of specialize in weeds, so I can tell!!!); Hope you fall semester goes well!!! Look forward to posts when you get a chance!!!

    ReplyDelete