Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along


From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things..

(oops, I forgot the book I am reading!)

I realized over the weekend as I started another project, that I have too many projects going at once and not enough time to dedicate to all of them evenly. So I am taking  deep breath, bagging everything individually, and putting a date on when each needs to be done. I also have a list with the projects written on and numbered based on priority. I had to do this. I have three other "current" projects that I didn't put in the photo!

Let me start with the braids. A good friend and co-worker of mine asked me yesterday if I could make her a braided wig for Halloween (she is going as a Viking princess). She wasn't sure how to attach the hair to her helmet and wondered if I could come up with a solution. Of course! I crocheted a netted hat, then took the process of measuring, cutting, and weaving the yarn together to form a cover for the hat. It's practically done (I need to do a few little stitches to hold everything in place) and I am rather pleased with the results.

The blue is the yarn I picked up when we were on vacation. I have one mitten done and the cuff to its match started. The first mitten worked up rather quickly, and I am looking forward to finishing it and felting them.

The owl coffee cozy is the third I've made in the past week. I made one for the formally mentioned co-worker who loves owls, then made another one for a friend, and this one for myself. I've had a few requests for more coffee cozies, so I guess those will be my side projects. They're rather portable and easy to make.

Finally, the real priority project is the gray project. That is a skein of the possum yarn from New Zealand. My close friend, Chris, has a dream to move to New Zealand in the next five years. When I bought the green skein for myself, I told him all about it, and he begged me to make him something..anything.. with the yarn. His birthday was this past Sunday, and I am finally was able to get back to E. Lansing to pick up the yarn. Per his request, I am making a headband to keep his ears warm this winter. I think I will put owls on it, too (I'm in an owl mood!). This is the fourth attempt to get this project underway and keep it underway. I'm crossing my fingers I get it finished this weekend and in the mail to him.

I'm still reading Last Summer. I work mostly at the coffee house location at the library, and there seems to be a lot of quiet time out there. So when things are quiet, I read a few pages. I'm still going to hold off on my opinion of the book, but I am gradually starting to get into it more.

Things are pretty busy over here right now. Balancing work, school, tests, and Steve spending a lot of time out of town with work, things are hectic. I miss you all.

xoxo

14 comments:

  1. Wow so many projects as well as school and work! Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy! Glad to "see" you once again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes.. always busy! I am looking forward to a week off from school to focus on knitting! :)

      Delete
  2. What fun projects! It sounds like you've found a good organization for getting them done :) That's always the trouble - too many good projects and not enough time for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And it seems like so many of these things have deadlines. Gah!

      Delete
  3. I had a hat like that as a kid, and now my kids LOVE to use it in their dress ups. Braid/Rapunzel/Viking princess hats rock!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do, too! My co-worker has been wearing hers at work a lot. I think it is quite funny to see.

      Delete
  4. Dearest Emily, I have missed you too! I have thought of you, Steve,Chase and your parents and wondered how life was going.
    You are such a dear friend and I know your friends love all the knitting love you are showing them. Possum yarn sounds amazing and I must see if my LYS carries it because now I must touch it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sweet Tracey! I have been trying to stop by your homestead as often as I can to see how you and yours are doing.

      You would love possum yarn. It is just so soft.

      Delete
  5. Busy??? What an understatement!! I'm just so happy you are able to squeeze in a few minutes to keep us updated on your doings.....I've missed you. But seeing how ultra-organized you are--about both projects and life, I'm sure you are balancing everything beautifully. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I am managing to balance everything. I am looking forward to a break from school soon, though. But I think now that I have adjusted my work schedule to not be so overwhelming, things will be better. Whew!

      Delete
  6. I love the owl! I am a too many project addict too. It is okay you are among friends!

    ReplyDelete
  7. emily! i've missed you too, but now so glad to hear all is going well. your knitting as usual is beautiful, that owl cozy!! can you share the pattern? i would love one!

    that is cool your friend is moving to n.z. and you are so sweet to make a gift. possum is really soft, but kind of eww. sorry! i saw so many of them when we were there, there is such a problem of overpopulation. in a stroke of brilliance, n.z. is making the best of the situation and knitting up the little guys fur. i am sure your friend will really love his handknitted goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lori! Yes, I will get the pattern posted soon for you!

    ReplyDelete