Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Wednesday Yarn Along

From Ginny: Two of my favorite things are knitting and reading, and the evidence of this often shows up in my photographs.  I love seeing what other people are knitting and reading as well. So, what are you knitting or crocheting right now? What are you reading?

Linking up with Small Things..







I finished the earwarmer band for my friend last Friday at work. I'll be popping it in the mail for him today. I have a whole skein of the possum yarn left so I think that a hat will be in his future, too. Once I finished that project, I could finish the second mitten. Now they just need felting!

Oh..this weekend was the fiber expo. I was tickled to hear they're going to have a spring fiber expo starting next March. I guess this means I should start saving my pennies again.. ;-) But yes, the fiber expo. Steve and I headed off to the event after class on Saturday and I giddily bounced my way through the buildings. Steve likes to watch the angora rabbits when they're being trimmed. I was on a mission to find the vendor who had only fiber from New Zealand. But before any of that, we had to see Jacob the camel.

I love that camel. He is so soft and I could just stand there and scritch him forever (even when he tries to eat my hair). I picked up  a cake of camel yarn (see the above picture) for Mom. She had mentioned that if I saw a nice skein of yarn that it might make a nice Christmas gift. Done.

The next yarn purchase was the blue/gray/purple skein of sock yarn in the back of the picture. I saw it on my way to see Jacob, and I had to stop on my way back through. I thought the colors were perfect for Mom. So socks will be made (eventually! I'm really trying not to add more projects right now).

After picking up a door prize (it's a handmade glass buckle!), and stopping an escaped alpaca, Steve and I wandered around more. That's where I found the mossy green roving. I fell in love with the Icelandic wool instantly. The color is so much better in person. So many of the greens you see are bright, but this is subtle, and I love it. I ended up buying five ounces of it and I have no idea what I will do with it. I suppose I really need to learn how to use my spinning wheel! By this time Steve had found the New Zealand yarn vendor and off we went.

The cranberry yarn is a skein of possum yarn. I had a wonderful chat with the vendor and I will definitely be seeking her out in the future for any of my possum yarn needs (or just fibers from NZ). The colors she had are amazing.

And last, but not least, I picked up a skein of angora yarn. It was the one thing I wanted to make sure I purchased. No, I have no plans for it right now, but I have always wanted to knit with it. Steve chatted with the angora lady and scritched the trimmed bunnies before we finally were done.

This was a paycheck well spent!

I did finish reading Last Summer last week at work. Overall I did enjoy the book. The biggest issue I had were the early diary entries of the character Rosie. I kept thinking back to when I was 14, and her perfectionist mindset just drove me nuts. As the story progressed I began to enjoy it more, but the mother Jane was a constant grating on my nerves. It was a good story about healing after bullying.

And on that note.. I am off to get ready for work. Hope everyone has a great day!

Happy knitting!

xoxo



14 comments:

  1. A Fiber Festival, how exciting Emily. I am drooling over all the goodies you brought home, especially the cranberry yarn, oh my! I wish they had fiber festivals down here, maybe I should start one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun! You should see where there is one near you. Or... you can come up in the spring and visit mine with me!

      Delete
  2. What fun! And a camel to boot! I am jealous of your yarn goodies... and those mittens look wonderful! Enjoy knitting with all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fiber expo - be still my beating heart. I wish we had something like that in our area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was a wonderful experience!

      Delete
  4. An escaped alpaca!?!? Sounds like a fun event. Perhaps we will schedule our next trip to the mitten to coincide with it. Such fun! I just got Last Summer from the library on my nook. Perhaps I should begin another book. Have a good week, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end Last Summer wasn't a bad book, but I have certainly read a lot better lately. Ah well!

      Yes! You must come back and visit and wander the expo!

      Delete
  5. Those are really cute mittens. I like the different colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only been to a fiber fair once and what mind-boggling fun! I thought I saw everything there, but possum? As in the possum I'm thinking of? I had no idea.. Correct me if I'm just being an airhead. :)

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiber expos are so much fun. The one on the other side of the state is supposed to be so much bigger. I'd be broke in an hour, lol!

      Yep.. they use the fur of a NZ possum and spin it with wool. It is extremely soft.

      Delete
  7. what treasures you found!!! I'd be saving my pennies, too, for a chance like that again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I must start saving again, lol!

      Delete